OK, what do you want? was....Re: Still "another" and possibly "better" job/career path....

Arthur Sowers arthures at magpage.com
Wed Feb 21 20:12:48 EST 2001

On 21 Feb 2001, Brian Moore wrote:

> In article <96vvmb$8ev$0 at 216.155.0.50>,
> Arthur Sowers  <arthures at magpage.com> wrote:
> >
> >I responded to Brian's comments in a post earlier today...now I have an
> >additional set of comments...below...
> >

> Art, your comments are well-taken (though I do think your view of
> some non-research careers, like teaching, are a bit overly dim),
> but my point was pointing people to fire-fighting is not necessarily
> any help.  I've known of people who've languished in dead-end jobs
> in a town for a long time in an extended pursuit to try for one
> of these firefighter positions, and not made it.  Plus, a field
> like firefighting is not exactly a good one for a midlife
> career change.

First, maybe not for you, but for someone else.
Second, I'm just passing on the better paying job information. If you
don't think you can fit into it, just forget it.

> A better example for me is my brother, who didn't go to college and
> has worked as a longshoreman all his life.  He gets paid well, and
> has been able to stay in one spot.  But even looking at good
> jobs like this, there are a lot of pitfalls.  For one, his is
> a union job, which is one of the reasons it pays so well.  Any
> union job is always at risk of having the union get busted.
> The longshoremen have threaded that needle fairly well, but they've
> had to accept concessions little by little over time.  Consequently,
> there are almost no opportunities for new people to get into
> the good "A" and "B" categories now.

How about you contacting your brother and tell him to tell you, so you can
post it here, how to become a longshoreman and what the pay is like.

> So everybody takes risks.  The key is to know your risks going in.
> I DO think that still not enough students entering graduate school
> in the sciences know the risks well enough.

Big 10-4, good buddy.

 But some do, and
> most eventually learn the truth and some decide to keep plugging
> at it.

  Arthur E. Sowers, PhD
  | Science career information website:   |
  | http://www.magpage.com/~arthures      |