"another" and "better" career alternative?.....

DPH kgclg15 at kg.hsanet.net
Sat Jan 13 08:32:21 EST 2001

This is supposed to be competitive with sci-tech jobs?

That's $40 / hour before they start with the problems of providing for their
own medical coverage.  That eats up a lot of money.  Then, people in this line
of work get injured a lot.  Back problems, hernias, crushing injuries, etc.
Age discrimination?  No, but do you want to be 60 years old and humping
refrigerators up and down stairs?  Take vacation down-time out of that, and
sick/injured time too.  They're not going to make any money while sick or
recovering from injuries.

I don't see this as any sort of "good life" or financial situation that is
even competitive with my admittedly much-less-than-average government
engineering pay.  These guys are not "doing well" when compared to  most
intellectual employment.  They have further problems of remaining employed for
40 hours every week - it'd be a miracle if they have the jobs lined up such
that they can get done on one Wednesday night, then go to work for the next
Thursday morning with no gap in the schedule.

DPH