"another" and "better" career alternative?.....

John Jacobson johnjac at nospam.xnet.com
Mon Jan 15 00:24:32 EST 2001

Sorry to break it to you, but programming is doing just fine for salaries.
ShameH1B is a database of H-1B visa applications, and not an indicator of
what programmers are making. NASDAQ is a stock market. It doesn't tell you
how salaries compare. On the other hand, increasing layoffs at places like
Brach's candy here in Chicago, and other brick and mortar places shows that
they are not doing as well as you seem to think. Manufacturing has been
stagnant for years.

"Arthur Sowers" <arthures at magpage.com> wrote in message
news:93tlfb$2fj$0 at 216.155.0.50...

> Shame H1B, as well as a number of articles in the papers, are showing a
> lot of programmer jobs and computer jobs are not paying as well and the
> NASDAQ has shown that high tech is not as good as bricks and mortar.
>

>   Arthur E. Sowers, PhD
>   | Science career information website:   |
>   | http://www.magpage.com/~arthures      |
> === no change to below, included for reference and context ====
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, John Jacobson wrote:
>
> > It is definitely not competitive with programming jobs, that's for sure.
> >
> > "DPH" <kgclg15 at kg.hsanet.net> wrote in message
> > news:3A6058E5.635C5038 at kg.hsanet.net...
> > > This is supposed to be competitive with sci-tech jobs?
> > >
> > > That's $40 / hour before they start with the problems of providing for
> > their
> > > own medical coverage.  That eats up a lot of money.  Then, people in
this
> > line
> > > of work get injured a lot.  Back problems, hernias, crushing injuries,
> > etc.
> > > Age discrimination?  No, but do you want to be 60 years old and
humping
> > > refrigerators up and down stairs?  Take vacation down-time out of
that,
> > and
> > > sick/injured time too.  They're not going to make any money while sick
or
> > > recovering from injuries.
> > >
> > > I don't see this as any sort of "good life" or financial situation
that is
> > > even competitive with my admittedly much-less-than-average government
> > > engineering pay.  These guys are not "doing well" when compared to
most
> > > intellectual employment.  They have further problems of remaining
employed
> > for
> > > 40 hours every week - it'd be a miracle if they have the jobs lined up
> > such
> > > that they can get done on one Wednesday night, then go to work for the
> > next
> > > Thursday morning with no gap in the schedule.
> > >
> > > DPH

back-of-the-envelope