"another" and "better" career alternative?.....Nope!

DPH kgclg15 at kg.hsanet.net
Mon Jan 15 23:09:51 EST 2001

Lawson English wrote:

> in article 93vr09$247$1 at onsager.bd.psu.edu, Brian Moore at
> moore at onsager.bd.psu.edu wrote on 1/15/01 2:44 PM:
>

> > Part of the context of the broad-based support for H1-B comes, I
> > think from this vague belief that there is an across the board
> > shortage of "science and tecnical" people.  Such shortages
> > are only in a few certain fields, which unfortunately is a nuanced position
> > that most congresspeople can't grasp.
>
> Most congresspeople aren't stupid, but out-of-work technies are NOT paying
> for their reelection campaign and comprise a tiny segment of the voting
> population, so their opinions, needs and desires are not relevant.

That is just another reason for a union.  An IT Professional's union could make
their position known, and exhort their membership to write and call their
congressmen, and suggest to their membership which congressmen would better
butter their bread (say that 3 times fast... ), etc.  Unions don't have to all be
about strikes.  If U want to see an effective lobbying association, join the NRA
and experience the barrage of information concerning gun rights that it sends its
members.  I'm an NRA life member,  and could probably paper the walls with the
correspondence I get from them in a year.  A union of, say, 4 million IT workers
would be a formidable political force.

DPH