OSM sources

Cristina Vázquez Martín cmartin at uvigo.es
Fri Jul 20 07:15:57 EST 2001

          Dear colleagues:

                I'm trying to isolate the ovine submaxillary mucin. I've
employed a protocol described by D.M. Carlson et al., (J. Biol. Chem. 248:
5763-5773, 1973) which is based in precipitation techniques using
cetyltrimethylammonium bromide solution and ethanol, and a column of
DEAE-cellulose. The problem I have is that at the end of the process I
obtain a very low quantity of a highly higroscopic protein. I wonder if in
this method there's a key step that I'm passing over.

                I would greatly appreciate if somebody could give me a
solution or an alternative method in order to obtain this glycoprotein
because I need it as an acceptor to measure sialyltransferase activity.

			Thank you very much,

						Cristina Vázquez Martín
						Dpmt. of Biochemistry, Genetics and Immunology
	                                        Faculty of Sciences - University of
Vigo
                                                Vigo - Pontevedra
                                                Spain