Immunoprecipitation

Samuel C. Blackman blackman at tigger.uic.edu
Sat Jul 28 19:07:09 EST 2001

Natalie -

You may wanto pre-conjugate your primary antibody with your secondary
antibody.  This may help reduce some of the non-specific labeling that
you are having (especially if your protein of interest is in the 40-45kD
range.  When you IP and then boil your beads you are going to denature
your primary antibody and then generate immunoglobulin HC and LC
fragments that can be picked up by your secondary antibody.  If your
protein of interest is a particularly high- or low-MW protein, then
your problem may originate from a different source.

Sam

p.s.: There's a BioTechniques paper that describes this technique well.
You can search their on-line journal for 'immunoprecipitation' and you'll
be sure to find it.