Professionals and Academics Network

Arthur Sowers arthures at magpage.com
Thu Mar 8 11:18:24 EST 2001

email and post...

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Professionals and Academics Network wrote:

> Arthur; I looked at your website whose link you put under your signature.
>
> Nothing in ProAcad requires you to disclose more information than what you
> already have published on your website to the entire world!  You don't have
> to fill in a FAX number on ProAcad  if you do not want to!
>
> The value added in ProAcad is to connect all those individually scattered
> advertisements such as yours through one central database.  In your case
> when you register as a member in ProAcad you will only disclose the same
> information you already disclose on your website and get, in addition, a
> link to your website!
>
> ProAcad does not sell or provide the members information to any third party
> for advertising or any other purpose.
>
> So where is the problem here?!
>
> You brushed against the topic of Internet security!   Is your website
> secure?

I don't take ANY input information. I have a simple hit counter on the
homepage. Since I don't take input information at all, nobody who comes
can get hurt.

> Your website is composed of a sequence of HTML pages!

The worst that could happen is that a hacker could break in and replace my
material with something I didn't put there. This would not hurt me (or my
privacy, or my credit card numbers, etc.)

 At ProAcad I
> employ SSL (Secure Socket Layer) to ensure that members IDs, passwords and
> submissions are not being intercepted.

The firewall books say that SSL is not secure.

> Please refrain from encouraging people to assume false email addresses to
> log onto my website and from writing directly to my email box!

People suck up email addresses from websites and newsgroup postings all
the time and send spam from sending addresses that I can't reach. I know
of postings on moderated newsgroups that are not supposed to be postable
to without moderators approval. There are anonymous remailers that anyone
can use for free. And, at least two websites that let anyone go to another
website and make it impossible to track the "masked" visitor. There is
some literature that says hackers can design a website to put, without
notice to you, code on your hard drive that acts like a trojan. I've heard
that some of this executable code is not even visible when you do a
"list" on your files. I have one book which says there is a virus that can
write past write-protected floppy disks in their drives.

I also did not notice any disclaimer as to what you track when people
visit your website and I don't remember any privacy statement. A lot of
these things are more important than you think. I'm not trying to run your
life or your website for you, but you certainly came on the newgroup with
an invitation and most invitations represent either a scheme or a scam
that clearly benefits, sooner or later, the originator without it being
clear that it benefits the recipient. There are a few websites put up by
altruists for the public good, very few.

Just some free consulting advice to you.

Art

=== no change to below, included for reference and context ====