news: formaldehyde in some foods in China

Healthwire healthwire at nospam.edu
Thu Nov 15 21:57:44 EST 2001

It's not clear to me if this is in imported food, or mostly a problem if
you are visiting China. But I still thought it was interesting.

--------

FORMALDEHYDE FOUND IN SOME CHINESE SEAFOOD: PRC GRAPPLES WITH FOOD SAFETY
ISSUES
November 12, 2001
Deutsche Presse-Agentur
http://www.worldcatch.com/

also in Food Safety Net, Nov. 14, 2001:
http://www.plant.uoguelph.ca/safefood/archives/fsnet-archives.htm

WorldCatch News Network - Food inspectors, according to this story, found
harmful levels of formaldehyde in nearly one-third of more than 900
seafood and other water-preserved foods tested in Beijing last week, state
media reported on Sunday.

The inspectors tested 926 products, including prawns, squid and other
seafood, tripe and intestines, at 35 wholesale and 33 retail markets, the
state-run China News Service said.

They confiscated 3.8 tons of food after 298, or 32 per cent, of the tests
showed dangerous levels of formaldehyde, which can potentially cause
health problems including cancer, the agency said. The inspection results
add to a growing list of problems with chemical and biological
contamination of food products in China.

Healthwire is a FREE subscriber-only newsletter. If you were forwarded this
tidbit and would like to sign up, it's as simple as sending an e-mail.

To subscribe, send an email to:
healthwire-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

See previous news at: