Gene Pat. vs. Altruism

Daeron daeron at nojunk-fandom.net
Tue Aug 13 21:02:52 EST 2002

Thanx for feedback
Gordon D. Pusch wrote:
> Daeron <daeron at nojunk-fandom.net> writes:
>>  For those universities etc. who have been developing many key
>>  technologies
>> (from IT to medical) used in this kind of research; have any of them
>> given consideration to placing a GNU style license upon their
>> technologies.
>>  In this case licenses could be made to say non-profit use of
>> resulting technologies will not be limited, or the like.
>
> University administrators very much like money, too, and are every bit
> as eager to profit from patents on gene ``discoveries'' made by their
> researchers as ``for-profit'' corporations are.

 Which is why the example concept mentioned did *not* limit commerical
activity : the GNU license is a just a working example that licenses need
not be limited to fiscal protection but can include intention of use.
 The simple truth is, not only can ``money make the world go around'' (and
using that motto killing 600,000 West Papuan == US gets all the West Papuan
Gold + copper + oil. All humans have greed, but some have additional
motives) ; but research generally stands on the shoulders of its
predecessors.

 Patent use is good; it's mis-use of patents which can kill research just
like lack of funds can. To patent a gene therpy or any medicine is
wonderful; but the public worries when it hears that natural genes are
being patented -- it makes it sound as if the first company to each flag
post gets to stop any others from following research that makes use of that
knowledge without a fee to the first coy. No real incentive for the other
coys to trust the first so research stops; and the first coy is taking
credit for what the human body or whatever does. I appreciate there are
legit concerns about money spent on finding the gene as a first step, but
it's up to the coy to publish its own work or not at that time -- indeed
some coys might consider allowing non-commerical research / production
efforts along side their own commerical.