RESUME: Microbiologist-seeking a position

Said said at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 2 00:17:05 EST 2002

To Whom It May Concern

I am writing you regarding potential employment opportunities. I am seeking
a microbiology-related position in an R&D setting or a university, where my
skills can be utilized effectively. I hold work permits for Canada and
France, and I am considering opportunities in North America and the EU.

I hold a Ph.D. in Food Microbiology from L. Pasteur University in France,
with over five years of experience which include post-doctoral research,
graduate teaching, supervising staff and trainees, grant, patent and article
writing, as well as conference presentations. The research experience I have
acquired is in microbiological, molecular and biochemical fields. Particular
areas of competence include development of antimicrobial assays, study of
antibacterial peptides and resistance, molecular methods for detection of
foodborne bacteria, phylogenetic analysis, and microbial biofilms. One of
the major outcomes was the development and patenting of a new and strategy
for the use of bacteriocins to eliminate Listeria monocytogenes in various
products.

The resume below will give you a brief synopsis of my academic/work
experience history in the microbiological field. I would appreciate being
considered for any position with a university laboratory or a
research-driven biotech/food company that you feel match my skills and would
add value to you. Should you wish to contact me, please use my contact
information below. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your consideration.
Sincerely

Saïd Ennahar

Montreal, Canada
ennahar at hotmail.com

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::RESUME STARTS HERE:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

SAID ENNAHAR
Montreal, Canada
ennahar at hotmail.com

------------------------  OBJECTIVE  --------------------------

My objective is to pursue a scientific career in one of the many
microbiological areas within a research-oriented biotech/food industry or in
the academia. I have extensive experience as a post-doctoral researcher and
would like to join a team where my skills can be utilized effectively in a
setting that encourages personal and professional growth.

----------------  POST-DOC RESEARCH POSITIONS  ----------------

Jul 00-Jun 02 National Grassland Research Institute, Japan
STA-funded research project
Genome analysis of lactic acid bacteria presenting an interest for use in
fermentation and  with anti-microbial properties.

Feb 98-Jan 00  Kyushu University, Faculty of Agriculture, Japan
Department of Food Science & Technology
JSPS-funded research project
Bacteriocin purification, structure-activity and genetic studies:
Multi-bacteriocin production by Enterococcus faecium, Cloning and sequencing
of the structural genes, Transcriptional regulation of bacteriocin genes.

Jun 97-Jan 98  The National Institute for Agronomic Research (INRA), France
Applied Genetics and Dairy Research Unit
INRA-funded research project
Properties of enterococcal bacteriocins: Structure and function of enterocin
A of Enterococcus faecium, Factors affecting the sensitivity of Listeria
monocytogenes cells.

----------------  TEACHING AND RESEARCH POSITIONS  ----------------

Sep 94-Aug 96   Louis Pasteur University, Faculty of Pharmacy, France
Department of Food Science, Strasbourg
Teaching and Research Associate (ATER)
Lectures & tutorials in microbiology and analytical chemistry methods, wrote
test questions and graded.
Research: Managed and worked in development, validation and implementation
of novel bacteriocins against bacterial food pathogens.

Sep 96-Jun 97    Haute-Alsace University Institute of Technology (IUT),
France
Guest lecturer: lectures & tutorials in general & food microbiology.
Wrote test questions and graded.

1992-2002  Training and supervising a number of undergraduate and graduate
students

--------------------------  EDUCATION  --------------------------

1991-1995 Louis Pasteur University, France
Ph.D. with Distinction in Food Science (Microbiology) on July 3, 1995 for
thesis entitled "Elimination of L. monocytogenes in soft cheeses; use of
bacteriocin-mediated bacterial antagonism".

1990-1991 Louis Pasteur University, France
M.Sc. in Environmental Toxicology

1986-1990   Doukkali University, Morocco
B.Sc. in Biological Sciences

-------------------- PUBLICATIONS AND PATENTS --------------------

--------------------------    PATENT   --------------------------

WERNER-AOUDE D., S. ENNAHAR, P. KLEIN, M. ROSA, J.P. SIFFERT, V. STAHL and
C. HASSELMANN. Patent registered at the Institut National de la Propriété
Industrielle (I.N.P.I., France) in September 20, 1994 (#9411188) & published
in March 22, 1996 in the Bulletin Officiel (# 2724664): concerns the method
of use of a new bacteriocin producing Lactobacillus plantarum WHE92 (DSM
9296) in food. Various applications of this finding were later developed
under the names ALC01 and BioCarna? Protect (ALC Mix1) by the Danisco owned
Wiesby GmbH and Danlac.

-----------------------    REGULAR PAPERS   ------------------------

ENNAHAR S., Y. CAI and Y. FUJITA. 2003. Phylogenetic diversity of lactic
acid bacteria associated with paddy rice silage as determined by 16S
ribosomal DNA analysis. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 69, AEM 956-02.

ENNAHAR S., Y. ASOU, T. ZENDO, K. SONOMOTO and A. ISHIZAKI. 2001.
Biochemical and genetic evidence for production of enterocins A and B by
cheese-isolated Enterococcus faecium WHE 81. Int. J. Food Microbiol., 70,
291-301.

ENNAHAR S., T. SASHIHARA, K. SONOMOTO and A. ISHIZAKI. 2000. Class IIa
bacteriocins: biosynthesis, structure and activity. FEMS Microbiol Rev., 24,
85-106.

ENNAHAR S., N. DESCHAMPS and J. RICHARD. 2000. Natural variation in
susceptibility of Listeria strains to class IIa bacteriocins. Curr.
Microbiol., 41, 1-4.

ENNAHAR S. and N. DESCHAMPS. 2000. Anti-Listeria effect of enterocin A,
produced by cheese-isolated Enterococcus faecium EFM01, relative to other
bacteriocins from lactic acid bacteria. J. Appl. Microbiol., 88, 449-457.

ENNAHAR S., T. ZENDO, K. SONOMOTO and A. ISHIZAKI. 2000. Improved
purification and structural determination of enterocin B from Enterococcus
faecium WHE 81. Jpn. J. Lactic Acid Bacteria, 10, 103-109.

ENNAHAR S., K. SONOMOTO and A. ISHIZAKI. 1999. Class IIa bacteriocins from
lactic acid bacteria: antibacterial activity and food preservation. J.
Biosci. Bioeng., 87, 705-716.

ENNAHAR S., T. ZENDO, K. SONOMOTO and A. ISHIZAKI. 1999. Investigation of
bacteriocin production and purification from Nukadoko isolates displaying
antimicrobial activity. Jpn. J. Lactic Acid Bacteria, 10, 29-37.

ENNAHAR S., O. ASSOBHEI and C. HASSELMANN, 1998. Inhibition of Listeria
monocytogenes in a smear-surface soft cheese by Lactobacillus plantarum WHE
92, a pediocin AcH producer. J. Food Prot., 61, 186-191.

ENNAHAR S., D. AOUDE-WERNER, O. ASSOBHEI and C. HASSELMANN. 1998.
AntiListerial activity of enterocin 81, a bacteriocin produced by
Enterococcus faecium WHE 81 isolated from cheese. J. Appl. Microbiol., 85,
521-526.

ENNAHAR S., D. AOUDE-WERNER, O. SOROKINE, A. van DORSSELEAR, F. BRINGEL,
J.C. HUBERT and C. HASSELMANN, 1996. Production of pediocin AcH by
Lactobacillus plantarum WHE 92 isolated from cheese. Appl. Environ.
Microbiol., 62, 4381-4387.

ENNAHAR S., F. KUNTZ, A. STRASSER, M. BERGAENTZLE, C. HASSELMANN and V.
STAHL, 1994. Elimination of Listeria monocytogenes in soft and red smear
cheeses by irradiation with low energy electrons. Int. J. Food Sci.
Technol., 29, 395-403.

---------------- CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS ----------------

ENNAHAR S., Y. CAI and Y. FUJITA. 2002. Molecular diversity of lactic acid
bacteria in paddy rice silage and bacteriocin production. Annual Conference
of the Japanese Society of Animal Science, 28-30 March, Tokyo, Japan.

ENNAHAR S., Y. CAI and Y. FUJITA. 2001. Molecular taxonomy of Lactococcus
lactis strains RO 32 and RO 50 isolated from silage and characterization of
the produced wide-spectrum bacteriocins. Annual Conference of the Japanese
Society of Animal Science, 29-31 March, Sendai, Japan.

ENNAHAR S., T. ZENDO, K. SONOMOTO and A. ISHIZAKI. 1999. Structure and
bactericidal activity of enterocin B81, an anti-Listeria bacteriocin from
cheese-isolated Enterococcus faecium WHE 81. Annual Conference of the Japan
Society for Lactic Acid Bacteria, July 1st, Tokyo.

ENNAHAR S., T. ZENDO, K. SONOMOTO and A. ISHIZAKI. 1999. Purification and
amino acid sequence of enterocin B81, an anti-Listeria bacteriocin produced
by Enterococcus faecium WHE 81. Annual Conference of the Japan Society for
Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Agrochemistry, March 30th to April 1st,
Fukuoka, Japan (Nippon Ngeikagaku Kaishi Vol. 73, N° 3, p. 268).

ENNAHAR S. and D. AOUDE-WERNER, 1995. Elimination of Listeria monocytogenes
in Dairy Products. Use of bacteriocins. Scientific Meeting of the Society of
the Chemistry Experts of France on Viruses and Pathogenic Bacteria in Foods,
September 21st (Illkirch, France).

AOUDE-WERNER D. and S. ENNAHAR, 1994. Use of electron microscopy in
illustrating the mode of action of bacteriocins. Second Meeting on
Bacteriocins of Lactic Acid Bacteria, December 15-16th (Jouy-en-Josas,
France).

--------------------------  SKILL AREAS  --------------------------

Microbiology
Aseptic techniques, microbial selection, identification, bioreactors,
electron and fluorescence microscopy, food trials, assay development for
antimicrobials, handling of pathogens.

Biochemistry
Protein production and expression analysis (antibody generation and
purification, SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, Immunoprecipitation, in vitro enzyme
assays, ELISA), protein preparation, extraction/purification and analysis
(HPLC, mass spectrometry, LC-Mass, sequence analysis), UV-visible
spectroscopy, Gas Chromatography.

Molecular Biology
PCR, DNA cloning, DNA extraction/preparation, gel electrophoresis, labeling,
DNA sequence analysis, molecular (16S rRNA) phylogenetic analysis, DNA-DNA
hybridization, bacterial transformation, clone analysis (restriction,
Southern blot), site-directed mutagenesis, library construction.

Computer literacy
Operating Systems: IBM/PC/ Macintosh. Software: Windows, Microsoft Office
package, Word processing, Sigma Plot , Adobe Photoshop, DNAstar, Clustal W,
data analysis and molecular biology software. Familiarity with
bioinformatics and WWW-based microbiology and molecular biology services.

Miscellaneous
Organization, teamwork & initiative. Independently managed research
projects, including planning experiments, solving problems, and writing
articles. Strong command of French, English and good knowledge of Japanese.

----------------  AWARDS AND MEMBERSHIPS  ----------------

?  Science and Technology Agency, Japan: STA Research Fellowship, Jul
2000-Jun 2002
?  Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Japan: JSPS Fellowship, Feb
1998-Jan 2000
?  National Institute for Agronomic Research, France: INRA Fellowship, Jun
1997-Jan 1998
?  International Center for Students, France: CIES Scholarship, Nov 1991-Sep
1994
?  Who's Who in the World: Biography citation, 18th edition, 2001
?  Member of the American Society for Microbiology, 2000-2002
?  Member of the Japanese Society for Lactic Acid Bacteria, 1998-2002
?  Member of the Japanese Society for Animal Science, 1998-2002