Increase in Male Homosexuality

James Michael Howard jmhoward at arkansas.net
Thu Nov 28 07:08:53 EST 2002

Increase in Male Homosexuality Reported by the CDC

An increase in male homosexuality has just been reported by the Centers for
Disease Control in Atlanta (Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2002;29:643-646,
http://www.stdjournal.com/ ).  The authors, Anderson and Stall, suggest the
standard caveats regarding the basis of these findings, i.e., this finding may
be simply more openness in reporting, increased acceptance, etc.  However, since
this may represent a real increase, I was encouraged to report my explanation of
male homosexuality since my explanation automatically generates the suggestion
of an increase in male homosexuality.  For anyone interested, here it is:

Etiology of Male Homosexuality and Current Rise of Male Homosexuality
(Copyright 1997, http://www.naples.net/~nfn03605/dheaetio.htm )

In 1985, I developed an hypothesis (copyrighted) of male homosexuality that
produced predictions. These predictions have since been supported. My
explanation is very lengthy; for sake of brevity I am including the significant
part regarding the predictions. As you read this, you should know that, earlier
in my treatise, I said this: "As I have suggested, DHEA is directly responsible
for growth and differentiation of the brain." In the context of homosexuality, I
was saying that reduced DHEA will reduce growth of specific areas of the brain
that determine sexuality. In the fetus, the ratio of DHEA to estrone, which I
mention in the following quotation, is determined by the mother, as the adrenal
glands of the fetus do not function until birth.

"Results indicate that the fetal adrenal activity increases independently of the
maternal adrenal cortex at term and plays an important role in the onset of
labour." (Orv. Hetil. 1987; 128: 2153).

Not all human fetuses are exposed to molecules of the type that I have been
discussing. I propose that the hormone which induces homosexuality in humans is
estrone. This hormone could induce alterations in critical function of the
receptors during critical periods. Estrone is only one conversion step away from
DHEA in the enzymatic syntheses in the adrenal glands. Remember that DHEA
sulfate is the chief precursor molecule of estrone. [Here I meant the mother.]
During the genesis of the nervous system, a ratio of DHEA/estrone might occur
abnormally in the fetus. This would continue throughout life. The amount of
DHEA/estrone would determine the degree of influence from slight to the syndrome
of homosexuality. To further clarify this, later in my treatise, I suggested:
"It is important to differentiate here between the asexual male and the
homosexual. The person of low DHEA without estrone production, might very well
become asexual.

For this argument I want to demonstrate that a number of these predictions have
been supported, subsequent to 1985. The effects of DHEA on growth and
differentiation of neurons was reported in 1987.

"In the present study, using methods of immunocytochemistry, autoradiography,
and scanning electron microscopy, we show that a supplement of as little as
10(-8) M DHEA or DHEA-S greatly increases neuronal survival and differentiation
and reduces astroglial proliferation rates in mouse brain cells in cultures."
(J. Neurosci. Res. 1987; 17(3): 225)

In 1992, a study of homosexual men, during progressive stages of AIDS,
determined that DHEA is low and estrone high. As you read the following
quotation, notice the use of the word "all." "The serum DHEA sulfate values of
all groups of HIV+ patients were lower than those of controls.
The serum E1
[estrone] and E2 [estradiol] were elevated 30-50% (p<0.01) in all groups of HIV+
patients." (J. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 1992; 5: 841)

So, I suggest that male homosexuality results, in utero, from an increased ratio
of estrone to DHEA. This combination results in the increased growth, and
reduced growth of other structures, in the male homosexual brain. Furthermore,
my hypothesis can be extended to explain the current rise in homosexuality.
While I think the current "climate" of increased acceptance of homosexuality may
account for more acknowledging their homosexuality, I think the current increase
is due to an evolutionary phenomenon.

My theory of human evolution suggests that testosterone is currently rising. I
suggest testosterone periodically rises in civilizations, and this increased
testosterone causes a number of phenomena, including an increase in
homosexuality. If you understood my explanation of increases in estrone in the
mother as the cause of male homosexuality, then some connection of testosterone
and estrone should exist. This has been confirmed. In the following report, a
positive correlation was found between testosterone and "unconjugated and total
estrone."

"Serum androgens, estrogens, 'steroid-sensitive proteins', thyroid components,
and albumin were measured twice within a 4-5 week interval in 44 cases of early
normal pregnancy (gestational weeks 8-18). Positive correlations were found in
the total material between dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHAS) and
testosterone (T), unconjugated and total estrone, albumin, tetraiodothyronine,
and calculated free tetraiodothyronine concentrations and within 2-week
intervals between DHAS and T, estradiol-17 beta, and unconjugated and total
estrone, and between T and estradiol-17 beta and unconjugated estrone."
(Gynecol. Obstet. Invest. 1995; 40(3):145)

I suggest that the current rise in male homosexuality is the result of increased
testosterone in women. It is known that the phenomenon known as the "secular
trend" is occurring here. The secular trend is characterized by increased size
in our children, male and female, and an earlier onset of puberty. I suggest the
secular trend is driven by increased testosterone and the rise in male
homosexuality is a result of this.

James Michael Howard
Fayetteville, Arkansas, U.S.A.