2nd. try... chart of relative levels of testosterone in 6 species - Relative Testosterone Chart gray.jpg (0/1)

James Michael Howard jmhoward at arkansas.net
Sun Apr 27 15:02:37 EST 2003

It is my hypothesis that human evolution is primarily determined by
testosterone; "Androgens in Human Evolution.  A New Explanation of Human
Evolution," Rivista di Biologia / Biology Forum 2001; 94: 345-362.  Also, if
interested, please see "Hormones in Mammalian Evolution," same journal 2001; 94:
177-184 and " 'Mitochondrial Eve,' 'Y Chromosome Adam,' Testosterone, and Human
Evolution," same journal 2002; 95: 319-326.

A study of testosterone levels has recently reported levels of testosterone in
humans, bonobos, chimpanzees, mountain and lowland gorillas, and orangutans
which directly parallel the relatedness (Fig 4, page 68).  That is, humans
exhibit the highest, bonobos next, chimpanzees next, mountain gorilla and
lowland gorilla next, with orangs having the least.  L.R. Hagey and N.M. Czekala
"Comparative Urinary Androstanes in the Great Apes," General and Comparative
Endocrinology 2003 (January); 130 (1): 64-69.

I suggest this supports my hypotheses regarding primate and human evolution.

This is a chart derived from Fig.  4, page 68 of L.R. Hagey and N.M. Czekala,
"Comparative Urinary Androstanes in the Great Apes," General and Comparative
Endocrinology 2003; 120 (1): 64-69.  This chart simple takes their chart and
shows the relative amounts of testosterone in humans, bonobos, chimpanzees,
lowland gorillas, mountain gorillas, and orangutans.