SIGKDD Explorations Special Issue on Microarray Data Mining, deadline
zaiane at cs.ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 9 16:14:40 EST 2003
Apologies for multiple cross-postings
SIGKDD Explorations Special Issue on Microarray Data Mining
Guest editors: Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro (KDnuggets, UMass Lowell),
Pablo Tamayo (MIT/Whitehead Institute)
Submission deadline: October 10, 2003.
SIGKDD Explorations is the official newsletter of ACM SIGKDD (Special Interest Group on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining). This special issue invites submissions which explore analysis and mining of DNA Microarray data.
Analyzing gene expression data from microarray devices has many important applications in medicine and biology, but presents significant challenges to data mining, including
* analyzing data with very many attributes (genes) and relatively few examples (samples)
* high likelihood of false positives due to chance
* lack of absolute ground truth
* assessing classifier certainty
* abundance of biological knowledge and difficulty of integrating it
* understanding the influence of many steps of data preprocessing on gene expression data
* complexities of gene interaction
We invite contributions that deal with data mining aspects of microarray data analysis, including topics mentioned above, and fall into one of the following areas:
* disease classification/discrimination and outcome prediction
* gene clustering
* analysis of changes over time
* biological knowledge integration in data analysis
* biological knowledge discovery from data
* application descriptions and case studies
* surveys and descriptions of existing software for microarray data analysis
Submissions should be made to Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, gps_#_acm.org (replace _#_ with @) in Microsoft Word or PDF format. Submissions are expected to be between 5 and 15 pages in length.
More detailed submission instructions at http://www.acm.org/sigkdd/explorations/instructions.htm
Submissions will be reviewed by the guest editors, external reviewers and/or associate editors as appropriate.
Submissions Oct 10, 2003
Reviews due back to authors Nov 10, 2003
Camera-ready due Dec 1, 2003
About the SIGKDD Explorations newsletter
SIGKDD Explorations newsletter is sent to the ACM SIGKDD membership and to a world-wide network of libraries. The previous issues are available online at www.acm.org/sigkdd/explorations/. SIGKDD goal is to make Explorations a very informative, rapid publication, and an interesting forum for communicating with SIGKDD community.
SIGKDD Explorations Editors are
Sunita Sarawagi, Editor-in-Chief
Paul Bradley, Associate Editor
Usama Fayyad, Associate Editor
More information about the Bioforum