Why are oncogenes not eliminated from cells by natural selection?

William Gray xira at innocent.com
Thu Jan 22 10:07:53 EST 2004

On 21 Dec 2003 10:02:08 -0800, liglinlillibli at hotmail.com (liglin)
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Why are oncogenes not eliminated from cells by natural selection?

Because they play importian, usually critical roles in the natural
processes of the cell.. For instance p53(I think that's the right one)
is an oncogene and an absoutly cirtical non-duplicated regulator of
cell cycle progression. Without it the cell cannont either progress
foreward or can't stop itself from progressing foreward through one of
the phases of the cell cycle.

Sorry I can't be more specfic, it was a long time ago and I don't feel
like looking it up:)