[Bioforum] [Mlnet] CFP for special session Applications of Machine Learning in Medicine and Biology at ICMLA05 and associated special issue of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine
lkurgan at ece.ualberta.ca
Sun Jun 12 15:40:16 EST 2005
=> CALL FOR PAPERS for Special Session on <=
"Applications of Machine Learning in Medicine and Biology"
of 4th Int. Conf. on Machine Learning and Applications
(ICMLA'05), Dec 15-17, 2005, Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A.
and associated Special Issue of the
IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine on
"Machine Learning in the Life Sciences"
submission deadline June 20, 2005
for details see http://www.cs.csubak.edu/~icmla/icmla05/
=> SCOPE <=
Advances in Machine Learning (ML) and related technologies
make analysis of large collections of complex data more
realistic. Medicine and biology are two major application
areas that will benefit from that. They are in real and
urgent need for decision-making and data-analysis solutions.
This session aims to provide a platform to present and
discuss recent advancements in the area of application
of ML methods in the medical field.
Papers are sought on a range of topics that include,
but are not limited to:
- ML in medical databases
- applications of ML in disease detection, diagnosis,
treatment planning, and prognosis
- application of ML in bioinformatics and
computational biology including:
- signal processing for genomics problems
- large-scale microarray gene expression data analysis
/ recognition / classification
- novel architecture and implementation methods for
- comparative and quantitative proteomics
- management of genomics and proteomics data
- structural proteomics
- protein structure and interaction analysis and
- applications of ML in interpretation of medical images
- architectures and algorithms for knowledge-based medical
- aspects of knowledge representation and reasoning in
- computational methods for modeling and simulation of
=> INSTRUCTIONS <=
The special session will be an integral part of ICMLA'05
conference, i.e. submission, acceptance decision and
publication will be made using the same procedures as for
papers submitted to the conference. The authors should
submit papers directly to the conference, indicating that
they concern the special session. Papers must correspond to
the requirements detailed in the instructions to authors,
which are placed on the conference web site.
All accepted papers must be presented by one of the authors
to be published in the conference proceeding.
=> SPECIAL ISSUE OF IEEE EMB MAGAZINE <=
Selected best papers accepted for the special session will
be invited for publication in a special issue of the
IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine entitled
"Machine Learning in the Life Sciences".
Invited authors will be asked to extend the papers to
accommodate for the requirements of the magazine and the
overall outlook of the issue. We anticipate that the issue
will include total of 8-10 papers, and the extended papers
will enter publication queue in December 2005.
=> ORGANIZERS AND CONTACTS <=
Please do not hesitate to direct your questions to
special session organizers listed below.
- Dr. Krzysztof (Krys) Cios (Krys.Cios at cudenver.edu)
University of Colorado at Denver & Health Sciences Center
University of Colorado Center for Computational Biology
- Dr. Lukasz Kurgan (lkurgan at ece.ualberta.ca)
University of Alberta
- Dr. Marek Reformat (reform at ece.ualberta.ca)
University of Alberta
-------------- next part --------------
Mlnet mailing list
Mlnet at ais.fraunhofer.de
More information about the Bioforum