[Bioforum] FREE Genetics Courses!

Dr Jamie Love synapsescoukX at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 26 15:50:12 EST 2005

Hello.
Due to popular demand, I am rerunning "Principles of Genetics" - my
online Genetics courses - at
www.synapses.co.uk/genetics
The first course, Cytogenetics, will remain posted until August 1st (to
be replaced by Mendelian Genetics, and so on).

The first three courses (Cytogenetics, Mendelian Genetics and Advanced
Genetics) are the equivalent of a university level Freshman course in
Genetics. All lessons come with a Student's Study Guide for the student
to print and fill in as s/he studies and a Teacher's Guide (with the
answers). Four workshops guide the student through the most difficult
sections providing additional practice for the math and puzzle solving.
A total of 96 Self-Assessment Questions and Answers (SAQ&As) reinforce
what is taught and each course concludes with an exam.

The fourth course, Molecular Genetics, is similar to a Sophomore
university level course and focuses on the chemistry of Genetics, thus
providing the student with a solid education in the most exciting areas
of biotechnology! Again, all lesson come with Study Guides and SAQ&As
(74 of them). This single course is much longer than any one of the
three "Freshman" courses so the lessons are broken up into sublessons
(providing opportunities for breaks and reflection on what is taught).
Molecular Genetics concludes with an exam.

The last course is Medical Genetics and is adapted from my lecture notes
that I used to prepare my medical students. Obviously, this is very
advanced "stuff" and presented in a much "denser" manner. This last
course provides students with an opportunity to review what they have
learned, add more topics (such as Gene Mapping and Molecular Techniques)
and learn how genetics is applied. The exam gives students a taste of
what they might expect in Medical School.

The "point" of "Principles of Genetics" is that the student can progress
as far as s/he wishes.
Spread the word (without spamming).
Regards,
Jamie

Merlin's Science Academy offers self-paced, self-learning science
courses (Chemistry, Astronomy and Genetics)
specially written for home schoolers and other distance learners.
Visit the academy at
http://www.synapses.co.uk/merlin/index.html