[Bioforum] Re: BIONET is public, we have to live with it.

Brian Fristensky frist at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sat Aug 5 17:55:34 EST 2006

Maybe one thing that should be added (although seemingly obvious)
is that the persistance of the USENET newsgroups goes back
to their very beginning in the 1980's (getting close to 20
years!). I believe that archives of these groups were
available via gopher:// and ftp:// , even before the
modern WWW.

The point I'm making is that no one can argue that they
didn't know that postings were archived. This has
been intrinsic to USENET for a very long time.
It is very hard to see how someone demanding the
deletion of specific posts has a legal leg to
stand on.

======================================
Brian Fristensky
Department of Plant Science
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA
frist at cc.umanitoba.ca
Phone:            204-474-6085
FAX:              204-474-7528
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~frist/

Who says plant scientists don't have any fun?

"Wild sex in the grasses"
Trends in Plant Science Vol. 11 No. 6 pp 261-263, 2006
Jason Able and Peter Langridge
University of Adelaide
School of Agriculture, Food & Wine