[Bioforum] eliminating ammonia in an enzyme reaction

Jose Carlos via bioforum%40net.bio.net (by jbasques At uai.com.br)
Sat Jan 20 11:57:37 EST 2007

I intend to assay potassium in human samples using its property of
activating glycerol dehydrogenase but I should include a coupled reaction
for eliminating ammonia which interferes in the reaction. Glutamate
dehydrogenase is frequently used but it requires NADH which I would like to
avoid because glycerol dehydrogenase requires NAD.

Has anyone a suggestion for removing ammonia using a low cost reaction that
could be coupled with a glycerol dehydrogenase catalysed rection?