[Bioforum] Synthetic Biology Filmfestival Call for Entries

BioFiction Science Art and Filmfestival via bioforum%40net.bio.net (by filmfestival from bio-fiction.com)
Fri May 14 05:35:55 EST 2010

*+++ Call for entries +++ 1st Bio:Fiction Science, Art & Filmfestival,
Vienna +++                     *
*                                  Deadline for film entries: 15th of
July 2010 *

The 1st *Bio:Fiction Science, Art & Filmfestival* aims at attracting
public awareness to synthetic biology and its ramifications for our
daily life in the future.

Synthetic biology is the design and construction of new biological
systems not found in nature. Synthetic biology aims at creating new
forms of life for practical purposes. By applying engineering principles
to biology scientists will be able to design life forms much different
from breeding or traditional genetic engineering.

We want to encourage filmmakers to share their cinematic visions of a
present or future society shaped by synthetic biology. What is your view
on a world living with synthetic life forms? Your approach is up to you
- the filmmaker, scientists or artist - the entries can be on science,
fiction, or science fiction. We welcome regular short film, animation or
documentary film. The main criteria is that synthetic biology has to be
reflected somehow in the work, but how you do it is up to you.

Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:

Bio:Fiction Award -- Short Fiction
*Bio:Fiction Award -- Documentary Film*
*Bio:Fiction Award - Animation*
*Online-Audience Award*
*Special Award of the Jury*
/(the prize money in each category will be announced soon)/

On http://www.bio-fiction.com <http://www.bio-fiction.com/> you will
find more useful and inspiring information on synthetic biology, the
entry form and the regulations of the filmfestival.
The nominated films will be presented in public at the festival event in
Vienna, Austria, in May 2011. Finally, a Bio:Fiction Award ceremony will
build the highlight of the festival.

The deadline for film entries is  the 15th of July 2010
*There is no entry fee for submitting films.
*
http://www.bio-fiction.com <http://www.bio-fiction.com/>

Best wishes,
the Bio:Fiction team