abstracts

Peter Karp pkarp at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
Tue Aug 7 08:58:59 EST 1990

Well I wish someone had mentioned this idea of posting abstracts
earlier because I had about 10 of them online that we used to
prepare the printed proceedings from, but I deleted them after the
meeting.  I guess I can get them from a backup tape.  I assume the
plan is to put them on Dan's server rather than mail them to the list!

I would be interested to hear a summary of Patricia Morgan's (from
Science) comments, particularly since we don't have a hardcopy
abstract from her.  My recollection is that she offered two arguments
against the viability of electronic publication: current electronic
publishing cannot handle the halftones needed to publish photographs,
and the process is simply too expensive for current libraries to
afford.

It occurs to me that probably less than 5% of the papers in any
computer science journal (except for computer vision) contain
photographs, so the importance of the first argument is probably
discipline dependent.  Also, when I mentioned the second argument
to a friend they commented, "who needs libraries anyway?".  That is,
we could have direct distribution from publishers to readers.

Peter