Electronic publishing

Don Gilbert gilbertd at silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Wed Aug 8 07:46:27 EST 1990

It's occurred to me that I've just recently seen a good example of how
electronic publishing works now.  This recent note in bionet.molbio.genbank,
from Rainer Fuchs of EMBL Data Library, is the abstract and pointer to a full
article, possibly containing graphics, available in multiple formats, in an
archive that interested readers can fetch:

(from Ranier Fuchs) -----------------{
 In addition to David Benton's recent posting:
 The features table format description is also available in electronic form via
 the EMBL File Server. It can be obtained by sending a mail message to
 NETSERV at EMBL.BITNET containing one of the following commands:
 GET DOC:FT_DEFINITION.HQX       /* to get a Macintosh Word 4.0 document */
 GET DOC:FT_DEFINITION.RTF       /* to get it in RTF format              */
 GET DOC:FT_DEFINITION.PS        /* to get it in PostScript format       */

 (The PostScript document may not print on every laserprinter, due to some
 peculiarities of the Macintosh laserwriter dictionary :-( )

 Rainer Fuchs, Ph.D.
 EMBL Data Library
 fuchs at embl.bitnet