Prokaryotic Promoter Sequences

KEITH L. STEWARD NUM219 at NRCCAD.NRC.CA
Sat May 5 22:05:00 EST 1990

In a previous message posted here (April 25) Mary Karpen asked for
information regarding databases of prokaryotic promoter regions:

> We are looking for a database of prokaryotic promoter regions, preferably
> with features such as start sites and RNA polymerase binding sites
> designated.  Does anyone know of such a database, and who to contact to
> find out more details?
>
> Mary Karpen
> Dept. of Biochemistry
> Case Western Reserve University
> BITNET:  Karpen at CWRU

I am not aware of such an online database however a collection of
promoter sequences was compiled in the following papers:

Hawley, D.K., & McClure, W.R. (1983).  Nucl. Acids Res. 11, 2237-
     2255.
Horwitz,  M.S.Z.,  Dube, D.K., & Loeb, L.A. (1989).  Genome 31(1),
     112-117.

Willian R. McClure (above) is probably your best contact for
updated (and possibly online) compilations of prokaryotic
promoters.  He can be contacted at Dept. Biological Sciences,
Carnegie-Mellon University, 4400 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA
15213 USA.

                                      Keith

 | Keith L. Steward, Dept. Microbiology & Immunology, Dental Sciences |
 | Bldg, U. of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada, N6A 5C1;     |
 | ph. 519-679-2111 ext 6618;    BITNET: NUM219 at NRCCAD.NRC.CA         |