In defense of the Genome Boondoggle

Keith Elliston elliston at av8tr.UUCP
Fri Feb 15 13:31:31 EST 1991

.

.
> author = "T. D. Schneider
>  and G. D. Stormo",
> title = "Excess Information at Bacteriophage {T7} Genomic Promoters
> Detected by a Random Cloning Technique",
> year = "1989",
> journal = "Nucl. Acids Res.",
> volume = "17",
> pages = "659-674"}

Nice C.V. Tom....

Not be pick nits or anything, but this discussion seems to be going over
board.  Perhaps it is time to drop the dueling keyboards for a moment, and
spend some time in the thought process.  I would dearly love to see a sort
of debate go on on this subject (genome sequencing), but would like to suggest
a more refined type of discussion.  Perhaps we could have an address by
the proponents of the genome sequence initiative, formulated collectively
by a group via e-mail.  We could then also have an address by a group
that is against the genome initiative, again collectively written by
a group.  This might reduce the flaming, and bring us all to a more in-depth
understanding of the issues from both sides.  We could then discuss the
issues that are disparate and not have to be reduced to singular views
or flaming wars.

I suspect that a large number of the people reading these messages are like
me.... in that I see many advantages to genome sequencing, but also quite
a few shortcomings/disadvantes as well.

So... who wants to be the head of the Pro Genome sequencing group (Tom??)
How about the Anti Genome sequencing group? (Did I hear a woof.. or was
it a non-woof?)

Well....

Keith "where did Rob Harper go?" Elliston
elliston at msdrl.com

... inews fodder .....

asdflkjadlfkljasdlfj
klasdjfljalsdjfljasldfj
lkasdjfljlsdjfljasdfj
klasdjfljsdlfjads;lfkj
klasjdfljlajsdfj;lajksdf
klasjdfljalsjdfjasldjf
klajsdfjlaskdjflajsdfl
jaksdjflkasdjfjasdfjaj
klasdjfkl;jklasjdfjadsf
kljasd;fjakljsdf;lajsdf
kljasd;fj;aljdsflk;ajsd;fl
kljasdlfkjlakjsdflkjasldkfj
kljasdfjlaksjdf;lkajsdf
lkjasdfljlkadsjf;la
kljasdfjljasdflkjklasdf
kljalsd;fjl;ajsdf;lasdf
klasjdf;ljasdf;la;lsdfj

--
Keith O. Elliston          elliston at av8tr.UUCP           elliston at msdrl.com
AA5A N9734U                elliston at mbcl.rutgers.edu     elliston at biovax.bitnet

"Fly because you have to, to keep some semblance of sanity."