Oh foolish supporters of genome sequencing

CCIPE%FRMOP53 at PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU CCIPE%FRMOP53 at PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU
Wed Feb 13 11:26:00 EST 1991

>But how do you KNOW it's junk? There are still lots of chromosomal
>functions that repetitive DNA could play, but we wouldn't have been able to
>detect for lack or a global picture.

    I can't agree more. The fact that no functions for "junk" DNA are known
TODAY, does not mean that this will be the same in the future. A possible
role for this DNA could be the interaction with functional or structural
proteins. What I would like to say is that we are far from knowing
everything about eukaryotic DNA, and the human DNA is a good example of
that type of DNA.

                                                     jean-rene ALATTIA