Oh foolish supporters of genome sequencing

Gribskov, Michael gribskov at FCRFV1.NCIFCRF.GOV
Mon Feb 11 14:02:00 EST 1991

At the risk of once again incurring the fiery wrath and ridicule of
Dr. Ellington, due to anyone who speaks favorably about the genome
initiative, let me just train my antennae on his "tiny mind".  He makes
the following cogent arguments against the genome project:

	he doesn't like it
	he doesn't think it's real science
	he thinks it's really worthless

Perhaps a more tightly reasoned argument would be more convincing? There
are certainly quite a few people who see some value in the genome
project, even if they don't agree entirely with its goals/or
implementation.  Not all of those people are fools.  I would certainly
like to know the names of the ofFfFensive person or persons who "would
suggest I should just bag my ideals and go off to happily catalogue
genes at random.  And I am outraged that *alternative service* in
science may come to mean just that." Furthermore, there is a big
difference between systematically sequencing an entire genome, and
sequencing genes at random.  I would say they are opposite ends of a
spectrum, in fact.

Michael Gribskov
gribskov at ncifcrf.gov