All that genome data...

Don Gilbert gilbertd at cricket.bio.indiana.edu
Thu Feb 14 18:29:53 EST 1991

In article <9102142237.AA11441 at genbank.bio.net> Peter.Rice%EMBL at PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Peter Rice) writes:

>There are now several "genome projects" under way, either (1) to map and
>I was wondering what the current status is of each of these projects, and also
>what their aims should be; in particular what the biological community sees as
>the needs for the storage of the data, and how to access it in individual labs.
>In the case of E.coli for example the data is already there in a large number of
>publications but online access to it is a serious problem. The other projects
>are just starting and have the opportunity to get things right from the
>beginning.

The Worm sequencing project includes much software development.
There is now a working, X-Window based worm data base browser that
integrates sequence data, physical / contig maps, genetic and other
descriptive data and references.  It also includes an "annotation"
facility where worm researchers can interactively add or change
data in the primary, remotely-located data files.

The Fly sequencing project is gearing up for some kind of similar
integrated data management which will be available to fly biologists
with Internet (tcp/ip) network access.

I'll leave it to others to provide more details (I'm not directly
involved in these).  But you can expect to hear more on these in
the coming months.  This would be a good time for people to
discuss what their needs are for access to such data, and in what
form. E.g., is X-Window software running on central computers that
host the data, and that allows groups of researchers scattered around
the globe to view and add to the data, a viable way to proceed?
Some of the recent news (minutes of JITF?) on the genome-program
newsgroup touches on this.

-- Don

Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu