All that genome data...

Peter Rice Peter.Rice%EMBL at PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU
Thu Feb 14 15:45:00 EST 1991

Bio-matrix has been quiet for so long, it is sad to see a spate of "please
remove me" messages as soon as a lively discussion springs to life. Perhaps I
can dilute the effect, and increase the number of postings, by starting a new
discussion.

There are now several "genome projects" under way, either (1) to map and
sequence (Caenorhabditis elegans, alias the nematode or the worm) (Drosophila
melanogaster, alias "the fly"), (Saccharomyces cerevisiae, or "yeast"),
(Schizosaccharomyces pombe, or "the other yeast"). (Arabidopsis thaliana, or
"the plant") (and others becoming too numerous to mention) or (2) simply to
finish the job that individual labs have done pretty well already (Escherichia
coli, or E.coli for short, which is already over 30% sequenced and pretty well
mapped both genetically and physically).

I was wondering what the current status is of each of these projects, and also
what their aims should be; in particular what the biological community sees as
the needs for the storage of the data, and how to access it in individual labs.
In the case of E.coli for example the data is already there in a large number of

publications but online access to it is a serious problem. The other projects
are just starting and have the opportunity to get things right from the
beginning.

Enough for starters. If this turns you off too, please say what you want to see
on bio-matrix.

 Peter Rice, EMBL                             | Post: Computer Group
                                              |       European Molecular
 Internet:    Peter.Rice at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   |            Biology Laboratory
 EARN/Bitnet: rice at embl.bitnet                |       Postfach 10-2209
                                              |       D-6900 Heidelberg
 Phone:   +49-6221-387247                     |       Germany