Ph.D. Research - fuzzy biotech

Larry Hunter hunter at work.nlm.nih.gov
Wed Mar 16 09:54:56 EST 1994

Richard Haimann asked about PhD programs in AI & Molecular Biology.

Here is my list of schools offering computational biology programs.  Most of
these have strong AI components (except where noted).  There are, of course,
many schools with good programs in both molecular biology and AI, but that
do not have explicit interdisciplinary degree programs (e.g. MIT).  You may
want to consider them as well.  Good luck!

	Larry

* University of Pittsburgh (in conjunction with Carnegie Mellon). A new
  program in computational biology, funded by the Keck Foundation. For
  information on that program, contact Bruce Buchanan
  (buchanan at cs.pitt.edu).

* George Mason University.  A new program in Computational Science and
  Informatics.  [I am currently teaching the bioinformatics course there.]
  For more information, contact Harold Morowitz (hmorowitz at gmuvax.gmu.edu)
  or John Evans (jevans at gmuvax2.gmu.edu).

* Washington State University, Pullman.  A program in computational science
  including biology that has been going for at least three years.  For more
  information, contact Keith Dunker (dunker at bobcat.csc.wsu.edu). [not much AI]

* W.M. Keck Center for Computational Biology, in Houston, TX.  A
  collaborative effort between Rice University, Baylor College of Medicine,
  and the University of Houston, has been offering graduate studies in
  computational biology since 1990.  For more information, contact  George
  Phillip, Jr. (georgep at rice.edu) [not much AI]

* Washington University, St. Louis.  They have just instituted a new
  Institute for Biological Computing, which will begin admitting students
  next fall.  For more information contact David States
  (states at wucs1.wustl.edu).

* Stanford Medical School.  One of the nation's best medical informatics
  programs, recently hired Russ Altman to teach computational biology.  For
  information, contact Ted Shortliffe (shortliffe at sumex-aim.stanford.edu)

* University of California, San Diego.  Computational biology has been an
  active research area for several years in the departments of computer
  science and biology, and with the NSF San Diego Supercomputer Center.
  Graduate fellowships are available through an NIH Human Genome Training
  Grant.  For more information, contact Doug Smith (dmsith at ucsd.edu).

And there are many departments of computer science or biology which offer
the possibility of pursuing studies in computational biology.  This is
certainly not an exhaustive list.  My appologies to anyone I left out; I
welcome updates and corrections!

				Larry
--
Lawrence Hunter, PhD.