Como se dice "to clone" en castellano? Dictionary/text needed.

Josep Ll. Gelpi gelpi at sgenz.bq.ub.es
Fri Aug 18 13:06:14 EST 1995

Raymond Mejia <ray at helix.nih.gov> wrote:

>Hello folks.  Can anyone tell me the Spanish translation for "to clone"?
>Many technical terms in English are used in other languages, and this may
>be one of them.  But, I do not know.

Dear Raymond,
There is no original Spanish word for "to clone". We use "clonar", that is just
a direct transformation from the english. I think that it is currently
accepted.
So is "clonacion" (with written accent on the "o") or "clonaje" for cloning.
This is in Spain, I'm not sure about American Spanish, but it is probably the
same.
--
Josep Ll. Gelpi
Dept. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.