Como se dice "to clone" en castellano? Dictionary/text needed.

Rafael Maldonado rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu
Thu Aug 24 21:50:00 EST 1995

On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, Lev Gorenstein wrote:
> On 23 Aug 1995, megan Schade wrote:
> > That's right Raymond,the accepted word for cloning in spanish is
> > "clonar".
> Well, then I guess the accepted word for Pauling should be "polar"? ;-)
> Sorry, couldn't resist.

As a joke, it is very bad...

Clone came of the greek "klon", meaning twig. That kind of twigs used to
propagate trees. In Spanish, "esqueje".

So it is perfectly legal use "clonar", as many words in Spanish come from
the greek. Though, this word changed the meaning passing through English
and Molecular Biology. But IMHO, cloning must be translated as
"clonacion", and not "clonaje", since the last one is a wrong derivative.

 Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             |  La cita ha sido
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |
Department of Human Genetics		     |  retirada por respeto
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |  a la propiedad
Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |
Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu	             |  intelectual.
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |