What is this place for?

Larry Hunter lhunter at nih.gov
Tue Jun 15 10:04:48 EST 1999

  Lilian Hunt asks

    what exactly is this group for?

It's a bit of a historical artifact, Lilian.  The "Biomatrix" was an idea
promoted by Harold Morowitz in the mid 1980s (then of Yale, now a University
Professor at George Mason University) about applying artificial intelligence
methods to build and manipulate "knowledge bases" of biological
information. There were a couple of workshops at the Santa Fe Institute, and
some conferences, as well as a "Biomatrix society" that published a
newsletter for a while.   There was also an Institute of Medicine report on
"Models for Biology", published c. 1987 that discussed the idea.

Although I wasn't at the Santa Fe workshops (1986 & '87, I think), I did go
to the conferences, and was a member of the society.  It's been largely
superceded by fast moving events in computational biology in the last few
years, but the newsgroup lives on.

Lawrence Hunter, Ph.D.
Chief, Molecular Statistics and Bioinformatics        email: lhunter at nih.gov
National Cancer Institute                           phone: +1 (301) 402-0389
Federal Building, Room 3C06                           fax: +1 (301) 480-0223
Bethesda, MD 20892  USA