[Bio-matrix] Re: Typical Price of Genomics Analysis Software

Tim Cutts timc at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Nov 7 13:51:41 EST 2005

In article <mailman.210.1131309779.29584.biomatrx at net.bio.net>,
 <MajorSetback at excite.com> wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could find out the price
>of analysis software for genomics.  Alternatively, could someone give
>me the typical cost (including annual registration fee).

The vast majority of it is open-source, and therefore doesn't cost
anything licence-wise, but that's not to say that you shouldn't factor
in the cost of having someone install and maintain the software.

This also mainly applies to UNIX-systems; desktop computer analysis
applications tend to be proprietary, and quite expensive.  It really
comes down to the sort of analysis you want to do:  small ad-hoc
analyses in a lab are what the desktop software is good at.  Large scale
automated analysis is what the UNIXy free software is good at.

For example, the entire set of software used to build Ensembl
(www.ensembl.org) is either free-to-download-and-use, or properly open
source, so you could use everything they do for no money at all.

The downside is that you *will* need in-house bioinformaticians and UNIX
sysadmins to run it.

Tim