[Bio-matrix] Java for Biologists, March 2009

Heather Vincent via biomatrx%40net.bio.net (by Heather.Vincent from manchester.ac.uk)
Thu Dec 11 16:18:23 EST 2008

Java is one of a number of languages now used in computational biology.
  In March 2009 we will be running online courses in Java at two
different levels, Introductory and Intermediate.  The introductory
course is specifically designed for biologists with no previous
experience in programming.

At The University of Manchester, UK, we have 10 years experience in
running online programming courses for biologists.  We use a Virtual
Learning Environment, which allows us to extend the classroom into the
web.  We use a range of tools to support our online teaching activities.

Each course, which is paced to suit those in full-time employment, runs
over 16 teaching weeks.

Introduction to software development in Java covers:

Object-oriented basics
Imperative programming
Classes, responsibilities and collaborations
Inheritance
Exception handling
Collections and algorithms
Building simple GUIs
Stream and file I/O

Intermediate software development using Java covers:

A review the main language features omitted from the introductory course
Algorithms and data structures
Concurrency
Storing and manipulating external data
Basics of OO design
Networking and client-server systems
Relational databases
Other OO languages

You will find information on all our courses, including fees and a link
to the online application form, here :
http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/index.html  If you have any
questions, or need advice on the module options, please contact
Heather.Vincent from manchester.ac.uk