[Bio-matrix] Introduction to Ontologies for the Biosciences

Heather Vincent via biomatrx%40net.bio.net (by Heather.Vincent from manchester.ac.uk)
Mon Feb 2 11:42:27 EST 2009

Introduction to Ontologies for the Biosciences
(http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/modules/cs847.html) is one
of a number of online courses from The University of Manchester.  It is
designed mainly for biologists, but it will also be of interest to
computer scientists.  An awareness of bioinformatics tools and resources
will be essential for anyone taking the course.  (Our 'Introduction to
Bioinformatics'
(http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/modules/bs6061.html) would
provide suitable preparation.)

The courses will begin again on 2 March 2009.  The application deadline
is 13 February 2009.

Bio-ontologies now play a crucial role, both in the indexing of
experimental data and in the provision of conceptual abstractions for
aggregating results. This means that there is a need for domain experts
to be trained in the formal and conceptual bases underlying ontology
languages and modelling principles. Understanding of the underlying
principles of ontology development is necessary if domain experts are to
be enabled to develop ontologies that support inference, which is
critical for automated verification.

Our distance courses are delivered in a Virtual Learning Environment,
which allows us to extend the classroom into the web.  We use a range of
tools to support our online teaching activities.  Each course, which is
paced to suit those in full-time employment, runs over 16 teaching
weeks.  Teaching and learning are focussed around tutor-supported
exercises.  In this course, the course tasks are :-

1	Ontology ice breaker.  This will be an exercise to make people aware
of the issues, and of the need for a common vocabulary.
2	Compare and contrast two bio-ontologies.
3	MCQ on what OWL statements mean.
3	Short ontology building project.
4	Advanced OWL as a project.

You will find information on all our courses, including fees and a link
to the online application form, here :
http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/index.html  If you have any
questions, or need advice on the module options, please contact
Heather.Vincent from manchester.ac.uk