[Bio-matrix] Register NOW for Small Molecule Bioactivity Resources:
an EMBL-EBI hands on course
(by alison from ebi.ac.uk)
Thu Oct 22 11:22:35 EST 2009
Register NOW for Small Molecule Bioactivity Resources: an EMBL-EBI
hands on course
Organisers: John Overington, Anne Hersey, Vicky Schneider
Date - 25-29 January 2010
Venue - EMBL-EBI, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, UK
Registration deadline - 11 December 2009
Bursary Application deadline - 6 November 2009
This highly interdisciplinary course in next-generation publicly
available chemoinformatics tools is ideal for academics or industrial
researchers interested in drug discovery or for researchers looking to
progress from basic functional genomics to translational
research. Participants should have a degree in a biomedical
discipline. No previous training in bioinformatics is required. The
course will be highly interactive and will include problem solving
sessions each day. Attendees are strongly encouraged to bring ideas
for particular pieces of work to the addressed during these sessions.
What will you learn?
* Hands on training on searching public databases such as ChEMBL and
PubChem, for small molecules of biological interest.
* Using related bioinformatics databases and services (including
Ensembl, Uniprot, ArrayExpress and Zinc), that cross-reference
small molecule data.
* How to find out about the structure-activity relationships of
small bioactive molecules using ChEMBL.
* Selecting compounds to screen against novel targets and reference
* Optimising compound structures for target validation.
What will it cover?
* Overview of public domain chemical structure resources.
* The role of open science in drug discovery.
* Analysis and modulation of disease linked pathways.
* Tools and strategies to get the best from chemical and small
* Target analysis and prioritisation of genomic data for drug
The course tuition fees are subsidised by the Wellcome Trust for
scientists based in non-commercial institutions or Small-to-Medium
enterprises. The registration fee is £325.00 (£675.00 for other
There are a limited number of bursaries available for academic
participants only. These are awarded by the selection committee
according to merit. The bursary will cover the entire course fees
(including accomodation and subsistence) and a percentage of travel
costs (up to a reasonable maximum set by the selection committee) -
please indicate in your application a rough estimate of likely travel
If you wish to unsubscribe from this list please reply with
"unsubscribe" in the subject header.
Outreach and Training Team Secretary
EBI EMBL Outstation
European Bioinformatics Institute
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD
Tel: +44-(0)1223 49- 4604
Fax: +44-(0)1223 49- 4621
email: alison from ebi.ac.uk
Upcoming hands on training courses
25-29 January 2010: Small Molecule Bioactive Resources At The EBI
22-26 February 2010: Programmatic Access To Biological Databases (Perl)
2. mailto:alison from ebi.ac.uk
More information about the Biomatrx