CALL FOR DISCUSSION: bionet.biology.used-equipment

Dave Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Thu Apr 9 15:10:57 EST 1992

We have had a couple of suggestions recently for a newsgroup where
people can post ads to sell used equipment and other lab items (this
would be for used items only, not for commercial postings).

Here is the charter for such a newsgroup:

bionet.biology.used-equipment would be devoted to posting notices of
used laboratory equipment or other lab items that are for resale by
the owner.  The newsgroup may not be used by commercial concerns
seeking to promote products, nor may it be used by individuals as
advertising for "pawn shop" purposes, i.e., network regulations would
not permit an "entrepreneur" from buying and reselling used equipment
through the use of this medium.  Questions about the use of equipment
or equipment preferences would *not* be within the charter of this
newsgroup, but should be submitted to the
METHODS/bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts newsgroup.  The newsgroup is open
(not moderated).

As this falls into the service category, we do not need a discussion
leader for such a newsgroup.

Discussion will now open for ten days on BIOFORUM/bionet.general.
PLEASE do not post one-line messages saying only "I am in favor of
such a newsgroup".  We will collect votes later.  The discussion
period is an opportunity for anyone to bring up reservations about the
proposed charter and to propose modifications prior to the vote.

One issue which might be addressed is whether people feel comfortable
posting such items to the current METHODS newsgroup versus creating a
new newsgroup solely for the purpose above.  To date there have not
been a lot of used equipment postings on any of the newsgroups.  If
discussion indicates that this is a superfluous addition to
BIOSCI/bionet I might withdraw this proposal.

				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net