BIONEWS/bionet.announce IS NOW MODERATED.

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Wed Feb 12 18:42:40 EST 1992

It appears from our tests that the new BIONEWS/bionet.announce mailing
list/newsgroup is now operational.  All previous e-mail subscribers to
                                                 ^^^^^^
BIONEWS/bionet.general are now subscribed to BIONEWS/bionet.announce
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
which will be a lower volume newsgroup dedicated to its original
purpose of posting announcements of widespread interest to biologists.
Note that if you see this message in your e-mail, you do NOT need to
request a subscription to BIONEWS/bionet.announce.  The new
bionet.general/BIOFORUM newsgroup will be described in the next
message to this newsgroup.

If you now send an e-mail message to any of these addresses:

bionews at genbank.bio.net
bionews at daresbury.ac.uk
bionews at irlearn.ucd.ie

the message will be passed on to the moderator (currently me or my
stand-in when I am away) instead of being posted directly.  If you try
to post directly into bionet.announce using news software, the same
thing will happen.

The moderation policy will be simple: nothing will be deleted or
edited.  In cases where the message does not appear to meet the
purpose of the newsgroup it will be posted to another bionet
newsgroup, usually BIOFORUM/bionet.general (but sometimes METHODS,
etc., as indicated by the subject matter).  I will make every effort
to minimize the posting delays introduced by the moderation process,
but please be aware that several hours may pass on occasion from the
time that you post an announcement until it is distributed, so please
plan accordingly.

My thanks to all of you for your patience while this reorganization
has taken place.

				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net