BIOSCI: Address Reversal

Alan Bleasby ajb at uk.ac.daresbury.gserv1
Sat Jun 13 19:36:10 EST 1992

A current corollary of the transfer of lists from IRLEARN to Daresbury is
an occasional reversal of the senders address. This problem is not caused
by Daresbury, the `fault' lies with some gateways into the UK.

As an example, assume patrick at x.y.de sends an email message to
bioforum at daresbury; there is the possibility that this address may be
received as patrick at de.y.x and propagated into NEWS.

If you reply to a reversed address you may be emailed back with an error
report.

As a general rule the domain (e.g. de, edu, ie, uk) should come last. The
JANET network in the UK works the other way around; when emailing a UK
address non-UK sites should still put the domain last BUT UK subscribers
should put the domain (uk) first.

I hope the above is marginally clearer than mud.

We are actively pursuing a cure for this problem but this involves coding
software for domain name server lookup. We estimate this will take one
month.

Alan Bleasby
SERC Daresbury Laboratory
Warrington WA4 4AD
UK

Email: AJB at DLVH.DARESBURY.AC.UK  <from outside the UK ;->