EMBL database net resource [bionet.announce]

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Mon Jun 15 12:36:47 EST 1992

The new SWISS-PROT and EMBL databases are now available on the network.

GOPHER entry:
bioftp.unibas.ch port 70

          1.  About Gopher, and this bioftp site/
          2.  DIBUG [Discover Insight Biosym User Group] Mailing list/
   -->    3.  EMBNet BioInformation Resource Switzerland/
          4.  Molecular Biology Archive List.
          5.  and if you have suggestions or problems....
          6.  bioftp server: READ ME FIRST.
          7.  development site of GOPHER (U Minnesota)/
          8.  other Gopher and Information Servers (Minnesota directory)/

          1.  About EMBnet.
   -->    2.  Database/
          3.  Hints/
          4.  Info on this EMBNet Information Resource.
          5.  Other EMBnet Hosts/
          6.  Software/

   -->    1.  EMBL CD-ROM release/
          2.  ENZYME database/
          3.  FlyBase /
          4.  GENBANK sequence archive in Indiana (USA)/
          5.  NEW since last EMBL release/
          6.  PROSITE dictionary/
          7.  SWISS-PROT CD-ROM release/
          8.  UPDATES since last EMBL release/

   -->    1.  Simultaneous search in all XXEMBL XEMBL EMBL sections  <?>
          2.  search for a key word in FUN section                   <?>
          3.  search for a key word in INV section                   <?>
          4.  search for a key word in MAM section                   <?>
          5.  search for a key word in ORG section                   <?>
          6.  search for a key word in PHG section                   <?>
          7.  search for a key word in PLN section                   <?>
          8.  search for a key word in PRI section                   <?>
          9.  search for a key word in PRO section                   <?>
          10. search for a key word in ROD section                   <?>
          11. search for a key word in SYN section                   <?>
          12. search for a key word in UNA section                   <?>
          13. search for a key word in VRL section                   <?>
          14. search for a key word in VRT section                   <?>

FTP resources for those who need the data that urgent that they cannot wait for
their CD-ROM subscription to be delivered:

EUROPE: bioftp.unibas.ch, [131.152.8.1]
	directory archive_data/brand_new/embl (flat file format)
	directory archive_data/seq_data/embl (gcg/PIR format)

Service provider is Reinhard Doelz (EMBnet Switzerland), embnet at comp.bioz.unibas.ch

Distributer information is in the EMBL_SWISSPROT_RELEASE file of the
archive_data/brand_new  directory.

US: 	amber.mgh.harvard.edu [132.183.190.26]
	directory embl

Service provider is Mike Cherry, cherry at frodo.mgh.harvard.edu

Distributer information is in the 00000GCG_SAVESETS.TXT and the
000README.TXT of the embl directory.

The release notes covering the originator notice should be carefully studied with
respect to the details. The following contains header page information.

                               EMBL Data Library

                          Nucleotide Sequence Database

                                 Release Notes

                             Release 31, June 1992

                     European Molecular Biology Laboratory
                                Postfach 10.2209
                               D-6900 Heidelberg
                          Federal Republic of Germany

                           Telephone: +49-6221-387258

                  Electronic mail: DataLib at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE

The EMBL database was frozen to make Release 31 on 25  May  1992. The  release
contains  72,481  sequence  entries  comprising  94,390,065  nucleotides. This
represents an increase of about 14% over Release 30.  A  breakdown of  Release
31 by taxonomic division is shown below:

                  Division             Entries    Nucleotides
                  -----------------    -------    -----------
                  Bacteriophage            784        1013992
                  Fungi                   3129        6043027
                  Invertebrates           6344        8588325
                  Organelles              2400        3729702
                  Other Mammals           2661        3574243
                  Other Vertebrates       3336        3995908
                  Plants                  3756        5330636
                  Primates               16172       17512985
                  Prokaryotes             9516       15319602
                  Rodents                12806       14116618
                  Synthetic               1275        1008738
                  Unclassified            2604        2251376
                  Viruses                 7698       11904913
                  -----------------    -------    -----------
                  Total                  72481       94390065

New and updated sequence data from the latest GenBank  and  DDBJ  releases  have
been  incorporated  into  this release.  Entries whose primary accession numbers
begin with the letter D have been created and annotated by DDBJ.

PS:
Special thanks to Peter Stoehr in Heidelberg who wrote me a tape
this time as I visited Heidelberg last week.

Regards
Reinhard

|    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            | RFC     doelz at urz.unibas.ch         |
|      Biocomputing                | DECNET  20579::48130::doelz         |
|Biozentrum der Universitaet       | X25     022846211142036::doelz      |
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- bioftp.unibas.ch is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+