bionet.molbio.gene-org ---> bionet.molbio.gdb

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Mon Jun 1 16:06:38 EST 1992

Perhaps a few of you with photographic memories 8-) may recall the
following statement from our policy discussion early this year
regarding inactive newsgroups:

> The current "laggards" will be given another lease on life to get
> their usage up by the end of 1992 except for GENOMIC-ORGANIZATION.  If
> this newsgroup can not find a sponsor such as GDB by June 1 I will
> propose its elimination.

June 1 is here but I am happy to announce that GDB at Johns Hopkins
has agreed to take over this newsgroup with one caveat: they would
like the name changed from GENOMIC-ORGANIZATION/bionet.molbio.gene-org
to GDB/bionet.molbio.gdb.

As a newsgroup already exists, I'm not sure that we really need to run
this one through the voting process, but, so as not to run roughshod
over the regulations (we didn't really consider policy for renaming
newsgroups), I am posting this to find out if anyone has any
objections to our simply proceeding with this renaming.  If I receive
no serious objections by Friday, we will proceed with the renaming.
If objections are raised, I will put the change out to a vote.

The GDB staff will be regularly monitoring this newsgroup and, in
particular, Dr. Kerryn Brandt of GDB User Support will be the official
representative on-line.  This should prove to be a useful service to
GDB users.

				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at genbank.bio.net