CALL FOR DISCUSSION: bionet.virology

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Thu May 28 17:16:18 EST 1992

We have received a proposal for a new newsgroup, bionet.virology.

Discussion will now be open through 11 June on BIOFORUM/bionet.general
(*not* on BIONEWS/bionet.announce).

Please do not post one-line messages saying only "I am in favor of
such a newsgroup".  We will collect votes later.  The discussion
period is an opportunity for anyone to bring up reservations about the
proposed charter and to propose modifications prior to the vote.  The
discussion leader may submit a revised proposal in light of the
discussion, and the new charter would be included in the call for votes
which will go out on June 12th.

Proposal to establish bionet.virology

Discussion leader:   Robert Coelen
                     Department of Microbiology
                     The University of Western Australia

bionet.virology charter:
It is the intention to use bionet.virology as a group
for:
(a) the posting of information relating to:

        (1) Virus taxonomy
        (2) Virus structure and morphogenesis
        (3) Multiplication of viruses
        (4) Virus genetics and evolution
        (5) Epidemiology and Pathogenesis of viruses
        (6) Host response to viral infections
        (7) Vaccinology and antiviral chemotherapy
        (8) Any other matters pertaining to viruses not
             mentioned above

Whilst the group name is virology and the charter above
only mentions viruses, postings in the above categories
about infectious agents such as viroids and prions are to
be included in this group. Discussion about evolution
should be restricted to viral evolution only.
(b) the posting of news on methods or reagents relating
to techniques used uniquely for viruses
It is not intended to include postings on methods or
reagents common to molecular biology. These are better
placed in bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts.
(c) the posting of articles from various 'non-journal'
publications such as CDI weekly, and other infectious
diseases bulletins and the various virus newsletters (eg
Virus Information Exchange Newsletter)
(d) the posting of articles relating to current outbreaks
of viral disease around the world

Cheers
Robert Coelen
Department of Microbiology              |    Phone: +61 9 389 3915
The University of Western Australia     |      FAX: +61 9 389 2912