Materials availability for blind students interested in biology

weed at venus.ycc.yale.edu weed at venus.ycc.yale.edu
Fri Nov 20 19:32:48 EST 1992

I am a blind undergraduate at Yale, studying both Political Science and
Biology.  Recently, the point was made to me that the extreme availability of
materials which I have here may not be replicated at other, less well-endowed,
institutions.  Due to Yale's ability to pay for such things, it has not been
problematic to transfer materials from printed to electronic format , when
these conversions have been necessary.
However, for many blind students interested in studying in the sciences,
materials transfer is slow, delayed by the natural problems which taping (using
audio cassettes), of materials often bring.  The ability to get textbooks, (and
especially journals), transferred to audio-available formats is there, but
usually such transfers require money to complete.  I would be very much
interested in working with professors who are the authors of textbooks to see
if their books could be made available to blind students via either FTP or
through Recording For The Blind's "E-text" service which attempts to get books
from publishers in ASCII so that students can read the books on their home
computers.
Also, anyone who is on the review staff of some of the major journals,
particularly "Cell", and the journals relating to research in molecular
biochemistry, I would much like to discuss conversions and availabilities for
my own needs in graduate school, which I expect to enter in September of 1993,
studying to work in the public policy area as it relates to research in
cellular, developmental, molecular biochemistry, and genetics-related biology.
Any assistance/interest in the above would be greatly appreciated.
MattHew Weed,
Yale/Silliman 93.