New name needed for bionet.bionette?

cassandra smith clsmith at ux5.lbl.gov
Wed Sep 2 19:45:02 EST 1992

   [Preface added by moderator (D. Kristofferson) - this newsgroup has
    already been approved for creation and we are trying to accomodate
    belated objections to the name.  It is not being put out for further
    voting or protracted discussion.  Please send your replies to the
    following in private to Cassandra Smith.]

Several scientists have raised objections to the name bionet.bionette.
Thus, we would like to solicit alternative name possibilities.
Alternative names that have been proposed thus far include (I have
eliminated "womens-issues" which is too broad):

.bionette
.herbionet
.biowomen
.wbs       women-in-biological-sciences
.women-in-bio
.women-bio
.womens-bionet
.women

Proposed names must be limited to 14 characters on USENET segment
names.  The final suggestion should either fit the format
"bionet.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" or break it up into
bionet.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.yyyyyyyyyyyyyy where the x's should preferably
be one of the existing subhierarchies such as "molbio", etc.

It is important that the name, in some way, reflect the purpose of the
newsgroup.  The charter of the newsgroup is:

The purpose of this discussion group will be to promote networking
among professional women in the biological sciences. In essence what
is proposed is a bioscience new girl network.  A major problem that
women in science face is isolation. Thus, the goal of this newsgroup
is to provide a forum where women in the biological sciences can (1)
share experiences and interests and (2) provide advice and support to
encourage women, despite obvious and not so obvious obstacles, to
enter and continue scientific careers.

Please send suggestions to me no later than 8 September 1992.

Sincerely yours,

Cassandra Smith
clsmith at ux5.lbl.gov