ACEDB Workshop in Boston, July 28-31

Mike Cherry 726-5955 CHERRY at Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU
Mon Apr 5 08:56:01 EST 1993

          A C E D B   D E V E L O P E R ' S   W O R K S H O P

                           July 29-31, 1993
                    Massachusetts General Hospital
                         Boston, Massachusetts

A  workshop for developers and curators  of the  ACEDB genome database
software will be held  at  Massachusetts General Hospital in  downtown
Boston  July  29-31, 1993.  The goal  of this  meeting is  to  promote
interaction  between  the many  groups that are  currently  developing
genome databases using the ACEDB software.

ACEDB was developed by Richard Durbin and Jean Thierry-Mieg for use by
the C.  elegans  genome  effort.  Currently many groups have found the
ACEDB user  interface and database to be  very useful  in  providing a
wide variety of genome related  information.  A very  partial  list of
the current  projects using  the  ACEDB software includes C.  elegans,
Arabidopsis, human, Drosophila, wheat and pine tree genome efforts.

There is  no  registration fee for this  workshop. However,  space  is
limited to 60  people so please notify us of your  interest.  We  will
also notify  you  of  the  final details.  A block of rooms  has  been
reserved at a hotel across the street from the meeting site.  The rate
is $105 per night for either  single or double occupancy.  If you wish
to reserve a room at this hotel and are in the US call Holiday Inn  at
800-HOLIDAY and give the convention code MOL.  If you are calling from
outside the US you'll need to dial direct to +617-742-7630 and mention
the Department of Molecular Biology meeting.

Details  for the  meals  have  not  been  finalized  but we anticipate
breakfast, lunch and perhaps one dinner will be provided at no charge.

A  number of workstations will  be available  for  live demonstrations
during the formal sessions as well as during discussion periods.

A tentative list of topics that will be included in the agenda are:

ACEDB Database and Interface:
	o Data models and design
	o Query interface
	o Metadata
	o Data verification
	o Images
	o Physical and Genetic Map tools

ACEDB Community:
	o Updates on how various groups are using ACEDB
	o Species specific enhancements
	o Novel Graphic Displays
	o Costumization
	o Discussion of future directions and needs

Additional Topics:
	o data entry/editing
	o analysis tools

New Developments:
	o new Client/Server for ACEDB
	o Otto Ritter's Relational/ACEDB link
	o Interactions of ACEDB with remote sequence databases
	o LBL Enhancements

A partial list of speakers:
	Richard Durbin, MRC-LMB, Cambridge, UK
	Jean Thierry-Mieg, CNRS, Montpellier, France
	Susanne Lewis, LBL, Berkeley, California
	John McCarthy, LBL, Berkeley, California
	Otto Ritter, DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany
	Sam Cartinhour, MGH, Boston, Massachusetts
	Mike Cherry, MGH, Boston, Massachusetts

Please contact  us  with any questions and please let  me know if  you
plan to  attend.   The meeting room can only hold a limited number  of
people  and  we  are organizing a  small  network  of workstations for
demonstrations.

Mike Cherry and Sam Cartinhour
Department of Molecular Biology
Massachusetts General Hospital