PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT NEW SERVICE(S) FROM BIOSCI!!!!

Dave Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Fri Apr 30 15:01:23 EST 1993

My colleague Kenton Hoover today has made an important step in
extending the benefits of the Internet to our non-Internet users.

I am pleased to announce the new BIOSCI waismail e-mail server.  We
completed final testing this AM and believe that it is now ready for
release to the community at large.

Kenton has done a fine job in putting this program together.

Waismail allows users who do not have Internet access to search by
e-mail our WAIS (Wide Area Information Server) archives of BIOSCI
postings.  These are the same archives that are currently used by
those on the Internet with access to WAIS and gopher software.

Waismail also allows us to maintain *one* set of indexes which can be
used to serve all parts of our user community via WAIS, gopher, and
e-mail.  This is a significant advantage over other possible, but
older, software solutions for archive retrieval.

We will be putting up the various BIOSCI documents for individual
retrieval on this server very soon - although appropriate use of
waismail would pull them out now from archived newsgroup postings.

	 New E-mail/Snail mail/etc. address database project

With the completion of waismail, we will now begin some new projects
which will utilize this software.  Next week we will begin to create a
comprehensive database of biologists using BIOSCI on the network.  I
will be distributing an address form on the various newsgroups
periodically which will be collected and indexed for WAISMAIL, WAIS,
and gopher retrieval.  Other projects will also be announced soon.

			 How to Use Waismail
                         -------------------

The help file is included below, but it can also be retrieved by
sending the word

help

in the body of your e-mail message (leave the Subject: line blank) to
the address

waismail at net.bio.net.

We request that you use this resource wisely.  Please *read the
directions* below, instead of sending off random experiments.  Please
pay particular attention to the examples at the end of the help file
which illustrate some techniques for pulling up specific useful
information.

WAIS searches with some parameter settings have the potential for
consuming lots of resources.  We have established a queue for these
jobs which will only run two at a time on our machine.  Turnaround
should be reasonably fast though, unless large amounts of output are
requested, and will probably be limited primarily by the number of
jobs waiting in the queue.  PLEASE remember that this is a *shared*
resource.  We would appreciate it if people would not hog the queue by
sending in large numbers of requests simultaneously.  Miss Netiquette
says that, after sending off two or three queries, you should wait to
get your results back before sending more requests.  Large result
files are split up for mailing, so this will also ease your task of
reassembly.

We are happy to acknowledge that this work and the BIOSCI project in
the U.S. is supported by our grant from NSF with contributions from
DOE, NIGMS, and NCHGR.

				kristoff at net.bio.net

		   BIOSCI waismail server help file
		    (last revised 4/30/93 - D.K.)

For those who do not have access to WAIS or gopher software, the
BIOSCI waismail server can be used for text searching of the following
two BIOSCI WAIS archives.  For those on the Internet, access to these
archives is also available via WAIS and gopher as described in the
BIOSCI "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQ) sheet.  To obtain a copy of
the FAQ, please send a request for it to biosci at net.bio.net.  (The FAQ
and other BIOSCI documents will also be retrievable soon via this
server).

These indexes are updated automatically each night to include that
day's postings.

WAIS Indexes                    Information Indexed
------------                    -------------------

biosci                          Complete archive of BIOSCI/bionet postings

biology-journal-contents        Complete archive of
                                  BIO-JOURNAL/bionet.journals.contents
                                  Table of Contents postings

To use the waismail server, please send a message to

waismail at net.bio.net

containing your search request.

The Subject: line in your message will not be processed and can be
left blank.

The body of your message can either contain the text

help

which will retrieve this file, or it should contain a "source" line,
indicating the index that you wish to search, a "depth" line,
indicating the number of messages (from the biosci index) or number of
*references* (from the contents index) to return, and finally a last
line containing text to find, e.g.,