CALL FOR DISCUSSION: BIOPHYSICS/BIOPHYSICAL-SOCIETY NEWSGROUPS

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Wed Dec 8 19:19:02 EST 1993

I am happy to announce an important new event for BIOSCI.  I have been
working with the Biophysical Society, in particular Carol Gross, Vic
Bloomfield, and the executive director, Emily Gray, to bring this
professional society "on-line."  The Society has provided their e-mail
list which we have tested and corrected to the extent possible, so all
society members using e-mail who have provided their correct addresses
will be involved.  This represents over 1500 scientists!  For those
Society members who are not familiar with BIOSCI, I will be mailing
additional information in subsequent messages.

Given the number of Society members, it will be essentially a
formality to get the necessary votes to create the following BIOSCI
newsgroups, but I feel obliged to follow our usual procedures,
nonetheless.  This involves holding a ten day discussion period to
suggest any improvements in the newsgroup charter below (held on our
"chat" newsgroup called BIOFORUM/bionet.general) followed by a 30 day
voting period which will be announced on BIONEWS/bionet.announce and
to the Society membership.  The proposal must collect a mere 80 YES
votes in 30 days and the number of YES votes must exceed the number of
NO votes by at least 40 to pass.

Given the size of the Society mailing list it is my hope that many
members will have access to USENET news software (this will be
described in later messages), so that we can remove many addresses
from the list and conserve computer and network resources.  Because of
this, I am not opening up the mailing list for general traffic
immediately.  If Society members wish to follow the discussion about
the proposed newsgroups, they should either read bionet.general on
USENET or send the message "subscribe bioforum" to the Internet
address biosci-server at net.bio.net to participate by e-mail.  Please
leave the Subject: line of your message to biosci-server blank.

Be forewarned that BIOFORUM/bionet.general is a very "chatty"
newsgroup which will be discussing many other subjects in addition to
this newsgroup proposal.  If you want to get off the list, please send
the message

unsubcribe bioforum

to biosci-server at net.bio.net.  Personal help can be obtained by
contacting biosci-help at net.bio.net if you have problems.  I will post
the call for votes to our BIONEWS/bionet.announce newsgroup and will
also send a copy to the society mailing list at the same time.

PLEASE NOTE that we will be off-line for a software upgrade this
weekend so I am not going to count those two days as part of the
ten day discussion period.

Discussion on the following proposal will now be open through 20
December on BIOFORUM/bionet.general (*not* on BIONEWS/bionet.announce).

Please do not post one-line messages saying things like "I am in favor
of such a newsgroup".  We will collect votes later.  The discussion
period is an opportunity for anyone to bring up reservations about the
proposed charter and to propose modifications prior to the vote.

The discussion leader may submit a revised proposal in light of the
discussion, and the new charter would be included in the call for
votes which will go out on 21 December (Newsgroup Discussion leaders -
please note this deadline - if no revisions are received before the
deadline the original charter will be voted on.).

Please be aware that only one vote is counted per e-mail address, so
it is necessary to have your own account in order to vote.  Multiple
votes from the same address are not accepted.  If you are interested
in the following newsgroup, but do not have an e-mail address of your
own, please obtain one from your computer center before the call for
votes is issued.

Proposal to establish BIOPHYSICS/bionet.biophysics (unmoderated) and
		      BIOPHYSICAL-SOCIETY/bionet.biophysics.society
		      (moderated)

e-mail addresses:  For BIOPHYSICS: biophys at net.bio.net
                   		   biophys at daresbury.ac.uk
		   For BIOPHYSICAL-SOCIETY: bphyssoc at net.bio.net
					    bphyssoc at daresbury.ac.uk

The following discussion leaders will serve on an interim basis until
permanent leaders are selected.  Dr. Kristofferson's role, until a
replacement is determined, will consist simply of posting news
articles approved by the Society for general distribution.

BIOPHYSICS Discussion leader: Carol Gross
			      Biophysical Journal
		   	      cgross at molbio.cbs.umn.edu

BIOPHYSICAL-SOCIETY Moderator: David Kristofferson
			       BIOSCI/IntelliGenetics
			       biosci-help at net.bio.net

Newsgroup charters:

The BIOPHYSICS/bionet.biophysics unmoderated newsgroup will be a
discussion forum for all aspects of research in biophysics.
Membership in this discussion group will be optional for Society
members.  The purpose of this newsgroup is to provide a forum for the
discussion of issues related to the science and profession of
biophysics. Topics could include

- research ideas (particularly those too preliminary to warrant formal
    publication)
- advice on experimental techniques or theoretical approaches
- information about instrumentation, biochemical supplies, etc.
- exchange of computer programs
- ideas about teaching biophysics (useful review articles, etc.)
- information about upcoming conferences, short courses, etc.
- public policy issues affecting biophysics

The BIOPHYSICAL-SOCIETY/bionet.biophysics.society newsgroup will be a
controlled volume, moderated forum used by the Biophysical Society for
sending announcements to its membership.  Only approved Society
communications will be posted to this forum and all Society members
will be subscribed by e-mail if they do not have access to USENET news
software.  Free discussion of any issues raised in this forum can take
place in the unmoderated group BIOPHYSICS/bionet.biophysics.