diffs for BIOSCI/bionet Frequently Asked Questions

Dave Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Tue Jun 1 03:04:00 EST 1993

The following is the UNIX "diff" output between the latest version of
the FAQ and the previous revision.

8c8
< 		       (last revised - 5/31/93)
---
> 		       (last revised - 3/10/93)
18c18,20
< month.
---
> month.  The FAQ is also posted monthly to the USENET newsgroup
> news.answers and is archived along with other USENET newsgroup FAQs at
> pit-manager.mit.edu [18.172.1.27].
34d35
< *  How can I test my news or mail software?
42c43
< *  What should I do about mail error messages that come back when I post?
---
> *  I posted a message and got back an error message from a daemon!!
112c113
< newsgroup names as of 5/93.  A posting of the latest list of
---
> newsgroup names as of 12/92.  A posting of the latest list of
124d124
< ACEDB-SOFT                 bionet.software.acedb
132c132
< BIO-JOURNALS **            bionet.journals.contents
---
> BIO-JOURNALS               bionet.journals.contents
135c135
< CHROMOSOMES                bionet.genome.chromosomes
---
> CHROMOSOME-22              bionet.genome.chrom22
137d136
< DROSOPHILA                 bionet.drosophila
146d144
< INFO-GCG                   bionet.software.gcg
151,152d148
< N2-FIXATION                bionet.biology.n2-fixation
< PHOTOSYNTHESIS             bionet.photosynthesis
157,158c153
< RAPD                       bionet.molbio.rapd
< SCIENCE-RESOURCES **       bionet.sci-resources
---
> SCIENCE-RESOURCES          bionet.sci-resources
162d156
< YEAST                      bionet.molbio.yeast
173,174d166
< ACEDB-SOFT                   Discussions by users and developers of genome
<                                 databases using the ACEDB software.
187c179
< BIO-JOURNALS **              Tables of Contents of biological journals
---
> BIO-JOURNALS                 Tables of Contents of biological journals
191,192c183
< CHROMOSOMES                  Discussions about mapping and sequencing
<                                 of eucaryote chromosomes
---
> CHROMOSOME-22                Mapping and Sequencing of Human Chromosome 22
194,195d184
< DROSOPHILA                   Discussions about biological research on
<                                 Drosophila
197,198c186
< EMPLOYMENT                   Job opportunities in biology (see BIOSCI
<                                FAQ *before* posting commercial job openings)
---
> EMPLOYMENT                   Job opportunities
205,207c193
< INFO-GCG                     Discussions about the GCG sequence
<                                analysis software
< JOURNAL-NOTES                Practical advice on dealing with professional
---
> JOURNAL-NOTES                Practical advice on dealing with professional
212,213d197
< N2-FIXATION                  Discussion about biological nitrogen fixation
< PHOTOSYNTHESIS               Discussions about photosynthesis research
221,223c205
< RAPD                         Discussions about Randomly Amplified Polymorphic
<                                 DNA
< SCIENCE-RESOURCES **         Information from/about scientific funding
---
> SCIENCE-RESOURCES            Information from/about scientific funding
228,230c210
<                                 biologists
< YEAST                        Discussions about the molecular biology
<                                 and genetics of yeast
---
>                                 biologists
232d211
<
250d228
< ACEDB-SOFT                   Mike Cherry (cherry at frodo.mgh.harvard.edu)
259c237
< BIO-JOURNALS **              David Kristofferson (kristoff at net.bio.net)
---
> BIO-JOURNALS                 David Kristofferson (kristoff at net.bio.net)
262,263c240
< CHROMOSOMES                  Bruce Roe (broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu) and
<                              Greg Lennon (greg at mendel.llnl.gov)
---
> CHROMOSOME-22                Robert L. Nussbaum (nussbaum at a1.mscf.upenn.edu)
265d241
< DROSOPHILA                   Michael Ashburner (m.ashburner at gen.cam.ac.uk)
274d249
< INFO-GCG                     John Cargill (cargill at ocicl.oci.utoronto.ca)
279,281d253
< N2-FIXATION                  Eng-Leong Foo
<                              (eng-leong_foo_mircen-ki%micforum at mica.mic.ki.se)
< PHOTOSYNTHESIS               Johnathan Marder (marder at agri.huji.ac.il)
284c256
< PROTEIN-ANALYSIS             Amos Bairoch (bairoch at cmu.unige.ch) and
---
> PROTEIN-ANALYSIS             Amos Bairoch (BAIROCH at cmu.unige.ch) and
287,288c259
< RAPD                         James Farmer (farmerj at yvax.byu.edu)
< SCIENCE-RESOURCES **         David Kristofferson (kristoff at net.bio.net)
---
> SCIENCE-RESOURCES            David Kristofferson (kristoff at net.bio.net)
292d262
< YEAST                        Francis Ouellette (francis at ego.psych.mcgill.ca)
294,296d263
< ** Note that newsgroups flagged with ** are moderated, i.e., postings
< are directed to a moderator (editor) who later forwards messages
< (possibly edited or condensed) to the newsgroup.
298d264
<
321,329c287,293
< addresses of other biologists if you can not find them in the BIOSCI
< user address directory (the address directory is described elsewhere
< in this FAQ).  Regarding address requests to BIONAUTS, there are no
< guarantees that the people in question will respond personally, of
< course, but someone else might.  In addition, this forum can be used
< for asking questions if you need any help with mail and news software
< or other aspects of electronic networking, e.g. "What is WAIS, gopher,
< and all of these other newfangled things that I have been hearing
< about?" (see below for answers to this last question!).
---
> addresses of other biologists (no guarantees they'll respond
> personally, of course, but someone else might; e-mail directory
> services still leave much to be desired).  In addition, this forum can
> be used for asking questions if you need any help with mail and news
> software or other aspects of electronic networking, e.g. "What is
> WAIS, gopher, and all of these other newfangled things that I have
> been hearing about?" (see below for answers to this last question!).
352,353c316
< Binary
< CABIOS
---
> CABIOS*
357c320
< EMBO Journal
---
> EMBO Journal*
363d325
< IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology
377c339
< Nucleic Acids Research
---
> Nucleic Acids Research*
495,496c457,458
< Contact biosci at net.bio.net for further help.  If you are on the
< Internet but do not have WAIS software running locally, try
---
> Contact biosci at net.bio.net for further help.  If you do not have WAIS
> software running locally, but do have access to the Internet, try
500,505c462,464
< and login in as "wais" to experiment with the software.  All of our
< WAIS sources (biosci.src, biology-journal-contents.src, and
< biologists-addresses.src) may be selected from the menu for searching.
< Please also refer to the FAQ section below entitled "Please help me
< find the e-mail address for Dr. ..." for additional uses of
< our WAIS sources.
---
> and login in as "wais" to experiment with the software.  Both of our
> WAIS sources, biosci.src and biology-journal-contents.src, may be
> selected from the menu for searching.
507,519d465
< If you are not on the Internet you may search the BIOSCI WAIS archives
< by e-mail using our WAISMAIL e-mail server.  For instructions on using
< WAISMAIL, please send the message
<
< help
<
< in the body of a mail message addressed to the Internet address
<
< waismail at net.bio.net
<
< and be sure to leave the Subject: line of your message blank.
< Detailed instructions will be returned to you automatically.
<
525a472

575,576d521
< How can I test my news or mail software?
< ----------------------------------------
578,592d522
< Please do not post test messages to any of the BIOSCI/bionet USENET
< newsgroups.  If you are unsure about whether or not your mail is
< working, please send test mail messages to either of our two
< administrative addresses, but NOT to newsgroup mailing addresses:
<
< Address for tests                    Location
< -----------------                    --------
< biosci at daresbury.ac.uk               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
< biosci at net.bio.net                   Americas and the Pacific Rim
<
< If you need to test your USENET news software, please post test
< messages to the USENET newsgroup misc.test which was created solely
< for this purpose.
<
<
750,766c680,681
< What should I do about mail error messages that come back when I post?
< ----------------------------------------------------------------------
<
< It is not uncommon when posting a mail message to a newsgroup to
< receive an error message from a "mailer daemon."  Don't panic!!  The
< devil is not in the employ of BIOSCI!  It is a rare day when every
< single computer and e-mail address in the world is functional.  Mail
< systems are programmed to alert you if mail does not go through to a
< particular address which could be on any of our BIOSCI lists.  Rest
< assured that your message was received by the *vast majority* of
< readers.  You may either just delete these "bouncers" or send them on
< to your local BIOSCI distribution node (in most cases we will probably
< be aware of them already).  It is not uncommon to receive one or two
< bouncers for any e-mail posting that you make.  Note once again that
< if everyone used news software and if we didn't have to bridge so many
< incompatible e-mail networks to bring the