CALL FOR VOTES: CELL-BIOLOGY/bionet.cellbiol

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Fri May 14 20:01:19 EST 1993

Voting is now open on CELL-BIOLOGY/bionet.cellbiol.  The charter for
CELL-BIOLOGY/bionet.cellbiol is provided below.  No changes were made
to the charter after the discussion period.

Proposal to establish CELL-BIOLOGY/bionet.cellbiol

E-mail addresses: cellbiol at net.bio.net
                  cellbiol at daresbury.ac.uk

Discussion leader:

Ola Myklebost
Dept of Tumor Biology                             Tel +47-22-50 60 50
Institute for Cancer Research                     Fax +47-22-52 24 21
The Norwegian Radium Hospital
Montebello
N-0310 OSLO
Norway

Note from Dr. Myklebost:

A while ago I suggested in bionet.general to start a netnews group on
cancer research. Several people responded positively, both in
bionet.general and by email (A summary of comments will be posted in
bionet.general). As discussed in bionet.general, the proposal is now
changed to a cell biology newsgroup, including subjects specific for cancer
reasearch at the cellular level.

One colleague commented that he would not want to read notices on lower
eucaryotes etc, but I think that these days the relevance of e.g. yeast or
neurospora work for people working on mammals should be well proven. When
the bionet community grows bigger we can consider division of the group
into subgroups, but right now the critical thing is to get sufficient input
to get going.

It may be that people feel the subject of this group should be delineated
more clearly as it overlaps with bionet.molbio groups, but this I leave for
the discussion. As the activity in methds-reagnts is quite high, it might
be a good thing to move some of that activity to another more specialized
group.

Thus I propose a bionet.cellbiol group, with a charter as follows:

CHARTER FOR THE BIONET.CELLBIOL NEWSGROUP:

The bionet.cellbiol newsgroup is a forum for exchange of scientific
information and opinions in the fields of general cell biology, including
cell function and pathology (i.e. also in the context of cancer research
etc), differentiation, gene expression, cell cycle regulation, interactions
between cells in tissues, embryology etc.

The meeting is open to subjects relating to all species, and to discussions
on methods not obviously belonging in the bionet.MOLBIO.methds-reagnts
newsgroup, e.g. on cell fractionation or culture etc.

Voting is now open on CELL-BIOLOGY/bionet.cellbiol and will run
through 24:00 hrs Pacific Time on 13 June 1993.  Please send your vote
to either of the following addresses:

Address                               Location        Network
-------                               --------        -------
biovote at daresbury.ac.uk               U.K.            JANET
biovote at net.bio.net                   U.S.A.          Internet/BITNET

PLEASE BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE FORMAT BELOW - WE OFTEN RUN MORE THAN ONE
VOTE AT A TIME SO A SIMPLE "YES" OR "NO" MESSAGE WITHOUT THE NEWSGROUP
NAME MAY BE AMBIGUOUS.  Your vote should contain a single line:

YES on CELL-BIOLOGY

if you favor creation of the newsgroup or

NO on CELL-BIOLOGY

if you think that the creation of this newsgroup will adversely affect
the BIOSCI system.  If you are simply not interested in participating
in this newsgroup, please don't cast a NO vote, but instead just don't
vote at all.

The newsgroup proposal must receive at least 80 YES votes to pass and
the number of YES votes must be greater than the number of NO votes by
at least 40.  Discussion of the newsgroup proposal is now closed and
we strongly discourage posting any messages in other forums about the
fact that a CALL FOR VOTES has been issued.

				kristoff at net.bio.net