*** URGENT *** HELP SEND THIS MESSSAGE TO UNIV. POLICE DEPARTMENTS

K. Hauch hauch at cheme.washington.edu
Wed May 26 22:08:59 EST 1993

Please deliver  a PRINT OUT of this message to your
local university and/or municipal Police Departments,

e-mail a copy to anyone you might know at other universities
nationwide who might not have received this message.

Thanks for your help.

***** message to pass on *****

May 26, 1993

TO:	University Police Department Investigative Sections

From: 	Detective Dave Girts,
	University of Washington Police Department
	1117 NE Boat St,
	Seattle, WA 98105

RE: APPLE Macintosh computer burglaries

This is a form letter going to as many University Police
Departments as we can send it to.

The University of Washington has been the victim of a series
of forced entry burglaries in which only high-end APPLE
Macintosh computers have been taken.   The latest has been May
22-23, 1993 (12 computers, 3 buildings, $29,000 loss).  I've
talked with enough investigators at university police
departments to know that there are striking similarities in
burglaries at many different universities.   I'm trying to
determine if there might be a traveling burglary organization
that specializes in these types of computer crimes.

As reluctant as I am to become the organizational focal point
for such an effort, I'm asking all university police departments
that have cases that fit the following criteria to send me the
dates (and city location) of the crimes.  I will take that
information and try to see if there is a pattern to the dates
and locations of the crimes that might indicate whether or not
a traveling gang could be responsible.  Then I will report the
results to everyone who submitted information, plus the FBI
and Customs agencies.

Criteria for crimes:

*Exclusively, or at least primarily, high-end APPLE computers
stolen (Mac IIsi, IIci, IIvx, Quadra, Centris).
*Large numbers of computers taken per burglary.
*Forced entry to buildings or rooms - primarily defeating door
locking  mechanisms.  Ours have been pipe wrenches with 1/8"
or 1/4" between wrench teeth used to twist doorknobs.
*Repeat burglaries at previous crime locations.
*Add-on computer cards, such as Ethernet cards, removed from
computers at the scene.
*Only central processing units and mice taken.  Monitors and
keyboards  left behind.
*Include if the computers have been alarmed, locked down,
engraved or marked (or none of the above).

Of course, please include any known suspects or if you've
recovered any of the stolen property, or if you have an idea
where the computers are going.

I'm distributing this request by a variety of methods including
mail, fax, E-Mail,  and NCIC point-to-point messages so you
might get more than one of these requests.

Send the information to Detective Dave Girts, University of
Washington Police Department, 1117 NE Boat St,
Seattle, WA 98105    (206) 685-2599
Our department ORI is WA0172400.  My E-Mail address is
dgirts at u.washington.edu

Thanks for your cooperation;

David Girts
UW Police Department