IMPORTANT! - Additional changes at BIOSCI at net.bio.net

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Thu Nov 11 23:13:53 EST 1993

After a couple of weeks experience with our server we are making
another change to streamline workflow here at net.bio.net in the U.S.

All mail sent to our main address biosci at net.bio.net is now answered
automatically regardless of content and WILL NOT BE PROCESSED FURTHER
(except for messages currently awaiting processing due to my recent
trip backlog).  Among other items, the automatic answer instructs
people on how to use the e-mail server and includes a copy of the
BIOSCI information sheet for the Americas and the Pacific Rim.  A copy
of the automatic reply (except for inclusion of the info sheet) is
appended below.

If you are located in the Americas or the Pacific Rim, PLEASE make
every attempt to use our new e-mail server for subscribing or
unsubscribing from the mailing lists.  The server address is

		      biosci-server at net.bio.net

Requests for personal, i.e., human, assistance may be sent to a NEW ADDRESS

		       biosci-help at net.bio.net

Once again, please take a few minutes to learn to use our e-mail
server to process your e-mail subscription requests.  The less time
that we have to spend on routine administrative tasks, the more time
we can spend working on new services for our users.  If you
participate in BIOSCI by e-mail instead of by USENET news, PLEASE HELP
US TO HELP YOU and take a few minutes to learn to use the server as
described below.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

				kristoff at net.bio.net

 ----- Excerpt from biosci at net.bio.net automatic reply follows -----

This is an automatic reply from biosci at net.bio.net.  Please read this
*entire* message *carefully* or you might risk having your request for
help go **unanswered**!!

We apologize for not assisting you personally immediately, but demands
on our time are increasing rapidly while our personnel resources
remain unchanged.  There is a NEW ADDRESS FOR PERSONAL HELP listed
further below, but PLEASE try using our e-mail server first as
instructed below.  If all of our time gets sucked into adding/deleting
people to/from mailing lists, we will not be able to provide you with
new services on BIOSCI!!  PLEASE invest a few minutes in reading the
following and HELP US HELP YOU!  The BIOSCI info sheet for the
Americas and the Pacific Rim is appended to this message.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

NOTE: If you replied to a message from us which stated that your
      BIOSCI subscriptions were suspended, please resend your reply to

		       biosci-help at net.bio.net.

      Please be assured that we will read your message and reinstate
      your subscriptions for you.  Please DO NOT use the e-mail server
      to sign up on the lists a second time!!  The e-mail server can
      not currently handle reinstatement requests.

NOTE: THE biosci at net.bio.net ADDRESS IS NO LONGER USED FOR REQUESTS
      FOR HELP OR OTHER INFORMATION.  E-mail subscriptions/cancellations
      should be handled by our server as detailed below.  Please
      **RESEND** requests for HUMAN ASSISTANCE or other information
      such as FAQs, etc., to our new personal assistance address

		       biosci-help at net.bio.net.

      AFTER 19 NOVEMBER 1993 WE WILL NO LONGER ANSWER MESSAGES SENT TO
      biosci at net.bio.net BUT WILL ASSUME THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS
      MESSAGE AND ACTED ACCORDING TO ITS INSTRUCTIONS!!

NOTE: Please remember that if you have access to USENET news software,
      you do NOT need an e-mail subscription.  The contents of the BIOSCI
      mailing lists are identical to the corresponding bionet USENET
      newsgroups, and you will find that news access is much more convenient
      than participation by e-mail.  Information on obtaining USENET
      news software may be obtained by anonymous FTP or gopher to
      net.bio.net in the file pub/BIOSCI/usenet.info.  You may also
      request this file by sending a message to biosci-help at net.bio.net.

                         Server Instructions
                         -------------------

You should first send the

lists

command to the address

biosci-server at net.bio.net

to obtain a listing of all current BIOSCI mailing lists.  Leave your
message Subject: line *blank* in any message that is sent to the
server and include all commands only in the body of your mail message.

Please BE SURE to substitute the appropriate mailing list name
obtained FROM THE "lists" COMMAND OUTPUT for "listname" in the
subscribe or unsubscribe commands shown below.  Some list names used
by the server are abbreviated compared to their full spelling in the
BIOSCI information sheet.

After obtaining the names of the mailing lists using the "lists"
command, use the

subscribe listname

or

unsubscribe listname

commands to add or delete your address from the mailing lists.  Please
substitute "listname" above with the appropriate name of the list that
you want to join/cancel.

Your e-mail address is obtained AUTOMATICALLY from the header of your
mail message and should NOT be included on the subscribe/unsubscribe
command line unless you need to sign up at a different address than
the one you are currently using.  Such requests must be handled
manually by us and create extra work.  (Also you would be surprised at
how many people list their e-mail addresses *incorrectly*, so please
let our server obtain this information from your mail header instead
of providing it yourself!).

Multiple commands may be placed on separate lines in the same mail
message, i.e., you can include all of your subscribe and/or
unsubscribe requests in one mail message as long as each is on a
separate line.  If you put multiple commands in your mail message,
please put an

end

command as the last in your list of commands.  This helps avoid
sending to the server any signatures that might be automatically
included in your mail messages.

Other command details are included in the mail server help file from
biosci-server at net.bio.net.  To get the server help file (in
computerese 8-), send in the

help

command to the server address.

			      ----------

We apologize once again for having to depersonalize the BIOSCI
service.  We remain available to help you personally if you indicate
clearly (as mentioned above) that personal help is needed, but we have
to take this automation step in light of the growing demands on our
limited time.  Thanks in advance for your cooperation in taking the
time to learn to use this new resource.  Once you take a couple of
minutes to learn to use the BIOSCI server, you will be able to handle
e-mail subscription requests rapidly at your convenience 24 hours per
day.

				kristoff at net.bio.net

      THE BIOSCI ELECTRONIC NEWSGROUP NETWORK INFORMATION SHEET
                       (last revised 11-NOV-93)